battery life seems fairly poor for me about 4000 miles

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
The predicted remaining miles probably depends on the use you're making of the battery, if you made less use of it than on your previous ride then the predicted remaining miles could go up.
The same thing happens with cars where the predicted range of the remaining fuel in the tank can sometimes increase.
I have just finished my accumulated mileage test on one charge of the Bosch Power pack 300 though I didn't ride to flat it probably was about 10+% capacity remaining when the fourth of the five charge lights went out; according to the battery guide. My total mileage over four rides in very cold weather was 84 miles (with a predicted 12 miles remsining) which is what was predicted on my style of use when I bought it. I recharged and, yet again, the predicted mileage on the display was 36 miles. I rode fifteen miles it peaked at 50 miles predicted mileage. I had decided to ride on ECO mode the whole trip as a bit of an experiment and was really surprised to see it creep up the further I went. There is an incline just before I get home and the predicted mileage dropped back again to 36 do I presume that even though I have fully recharged it, it still estimates remaining mileage on the last mile of use prior to charging which is rather confusing until you realise that is what it does. Given that I had used to the motor the whole trip it is still a range of 51 miles but, I suspect, that would be rather more as the predicted 36 would likely increase as it did last time once on level terrain again. I just cannot fault Bosch's predicted mileage prediction chart at all. To me it has proved to be spot on; it's the computers prediction of remaining milage that seems to be rather conservative but, in some respects, that is no bad thing if it means you are left with an unexpected safe reserve of power. The whole Raleigh Motus/Bosch package is everything it is purported to be and whilst little personal niggles like the pedals and handlebars being unsuitable for me it has taken nothing of the shine off the buying and use experience so far. True, I haven't got much experience of other brands and did all my prior research on recommendations and others people's experience on the internet but once you find what you are looking for at such a respectable price (I really expected and was prepared to spend up to £3,000) of £1,650 for such well known brands, the search stopped as soon as I tested it and promptly handed over the money with a massive grin on my face. Very highly recommended but don't believe everything that computer display says....it lies...but to your advantage at least.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I just cannot fault Bosch's predicted mileage prediction chart at all. To me it has proved to be spot on; it's the computers prediction of remaining milage that seems to be rather conservative but, in some respects, that is no bad thing if it means you are left with an unexpected safe reserve of power.
I agree with most of that. One point; the predicted mileage is not so much conservative as based on too short a recent history. If (like me) you live near the bottom of a hill that will effectively mean conservative estimates when it matters. However, if you live at the top of a hill it will start with a low estimate (based on the last mile home in the last ride) which will increase very dramatically as you go down. When it is time to get back home it will be giving an estimate based on recent downhill and flat riding; and maybe you won't have enough to get back up that hill when it says you have.

SteveB1262

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
Although I disagree with Andy on some of what he has posted about batteries, it is precisely this that he rightly complains of.

The point of greatest stress to cells is as they reach full charge and that is the same for the original charge or subsequent topping up of reducing content. Unplugging the charger to prevent it intermittently topping up very small losses avoids those unnecessary repeats of maximum cell stress.
.[/QUOTE

I think you'll find the latest intelligent chargers cover that aspect. In the case of the latest Bosch Powerpack batteries it specifically states no harm can be done to the cells by keeping it on charge. The battery, if interrogated on dealer equipment, can tell you the precise number of charges and how long, and even keeps a tally of partial charges then converts them to the equivalent of full cycle charges for warranty purposes. The topping up of natural drain is controlled by the battery system and, supposedly, these top up charges are not as aggressive as plugging in initially for charging after use. It seems logical to me, but I'm no battery technician, that if the battery control system KNOWS it's just topping up then that charge is not necessarily going to be the max cut off of 4.2v. Perhaps on the top up charge the cut off is slightly lower; I just don't know. All I know is that Bosch categorically state leaving it on charge does not harm it (and the battery records all use) and they back that up with a decent warranty so I have no worries on that score. Any use I get over the three years guaranteed life is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. It is, quite frankly, an acceptable running cost even at retail price. However there are other options such as having it revelled for a third of the cost of a new one and I get the chance to upgrade with higher capacity cells at the
I agree with most of that. One point; the predicted mileage is not so much conservative as based on too short a recent history. If (like me) you live near the bottom of a hill that will effectively mean conservative estimates when it matters. However, if you live at the top of a hill it will start with a low estimate (based on the last mile home in the last ride) which will increase very dramatically as you go down. When it is time to get back home it will be giving an estimate based on recent downhill and flat riding; and maybe you won't have enough to get back up that hill when it says you have.
Well that just isn't going to happen to me as I simply don't cycle that sort of distance but what you say is what I too was trying to say though I still think it errs on the side of conservatism. In my case when the last charge light goes out, Bosch state there is approx 5% left before the battery cuts out to prevent cell damage. In all honesty I would just switch the motor off at that stage and rely on the pretty adequate gearing of the Motus. There is no way you will feel stranded as it just resorts to being a normal cycle, if somewhat heavier, and is pretty easy to ride without the motor as drag is nigh on negligible. Walking up that last hill home is another viable option of course.

Reactions: flecc