Battery / motor controller / motor compatibility

weaselwonder

Just Joined
Dec 25, 2011
So I'm looking at buying my kit in two separate bits:

1: front wheel drive motor and controller kit
2: Frog-type or Bottle type battery

My question is, what kind of compatibility issues might i get between the battery and the motor/controller?

If I buy a 350W 36V motor kit, with controller included, can I just get any old 36V battery? I'm guessing there will be a few key variables/specifications to consider eg. max and min discharge current... some help/advice please! (or direction to existing thread)

eg. would these batteries (e-city power)
36V10Ah Li-Ion "Little Frog" EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

bottle ebike battery

definitely be compatible with (not e-city power)

Bafang 24/36V/48V 250W SWXP Front ebike kit -

Thanks

Ollie

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi you need to check Most off the carriers like fedex and ups will NOT fly batteries into the UK as when they arrive hear they cant deliver then since the rules in the UK on lithium batteries have changed

BMS will take your payment then tell you after wards Make sure you PAY by PAYPAL

Hi check the link below see when there batteries will be in stock Headway are the Best batteries

There prices are good £368 including 4 Amp charger

http://www.eclipsebikes.com/eclipse-commute-15ah-headway-lifepo4-battery-p-1060.html

UK supplier off custom made bags to put battery into

http://www.bike-bag.co.uk

Frank

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes you can mix and match all parts.

You decide how fast you want to go and how much power you need to achieve that; next, you choose a motor that can handle the power and has the correct winding speed(rpm) to achieve the speed you want, bearing in mind that the motor speed can be changed by changing the voltage; then you choose a controller that can provide and limit the current to give the power you need; finally choose a battery that can supply enough current that the controller will take and have enough capacity to meet your range requirements.

You can run a 36v motor at 48v to increase its speed by 33%. naturally, you need a 48v battery and controller.
Motors can only take a certain amount of power. 900w from the battery is about the max for small and 250w ones. You have to be sensible in the way that you use it if you go for the max to avoid over-heating.
Batteries have a current rating. You have to look at the spec: X amps continuous and Y amps burst. You have to match that to your controller and planned power demands.
You can bump up the power from your controller by up to about 30% by soldering the shunt bearing in mind the battery's capability.

If you use standard 250w stuff and stick to the legal requirements, you can use any standard 250w controller and motor and any battery of 8aH and above, except that if you have a sensored controller, you have to have a sensored motor, which most (but not all) are.

You mentioned a 350w motor and then gave a link to a 250w kit. The frog and bottle batteries will be OK for that kit and a Q100 type "350w" motor, but if you got a real 350w motor like the Bafang BPM or CST, they won't be able to give enough current unless you get one of the new 11.6aH ones.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
If you want a battery from BMS, they'll sell you one and deliver it. There are ways round the rules just as there are for manufacturers of "illegal for public highway use" electric bikes :eek:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi averhamdave is not BMS that wont Fly Batteries ITS is THE carriers like Fedex and DHL

If you want to try and wast your time good luck

Frank

D

Deleted member 4366

They have access to a range of carriers that do ship batteries. I've bought seven batteries from them and not yet had a problem.

bayrider

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2013
DEVON
Just read this post regards carriers like fedex and ups / DHL not willing to send batteries by air, does this apply to full bike conversion kits ( inc Li-ion Battery) or just for the battery? is the best or recommended way of getting round this to have the item by ship/ land method if you don't mind waiting and not in a hurry for the goods.