Battery performance

Madbadger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
Sheffield area
Decided to go for a ride today but I took the battery from my wife’s haibike hard 7 along with me. Good job I did, 29 miles and mine was out of juice, mostly rode on full power but I would say 30% was over 15mph and downhill freewheeling. The bikes are coming up to 2 years old and we only ride in the dry warm weather. So much for the claims of haibike! 105miles on a charge when used in eco plus but it states over 50 miles on full power. Bike has done just over a thousand miles and I rarely run the battery below 40% but today I had it down to the flashing warning on the lcd display. I can think the battery has been charged around 20 times and only been run down to 10% twice

Any thoughts on this please

Kev

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Years ago I tested a 10amp hour battery going non stop back and fore along our seafront, throttle only at 15 mph.
Got 17 miles before I ran out of electricity.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Decided to go for a ride today but I took the battery from my wife’s haibike hard 7 along with me. Good job I did, 29 miles and mine was out of juice, mostly rode on full power but I would say 30% was over 15mph and downhill freewheeling. The bikes are coming up to 2 years old and we only ride in the dry warm weather. So much for the claims of haibike! 105miles on a charge when used in eco plus but it states over 50 miles on full power. Bike has done just over a thousand miles and I rarely run the battery below 40% but today I had it down to the flashing warning on the lcd display. I can think the battery has been charged around 20 times and only been run down to 10% twice

Kev
You say that 30% was over 15 mph. Do you have a dongle fitted?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
What was the wind direction and speed.? What was the ambient temperature.? These are the two most important variables , followed by your fitness level ,and weight gain over the winter!!!!!. , And then bicycle tyre pressure. And remember for every mile you freewheeled down, you expended energy going up!!!
Power consumption increases by the cube of the speed relative to the wind. Even doubling speed consumes EIGHT times more energy.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
So much for the claims of haibike! 105miles on a charge when used in eco plus but it states over 50 miles on full power
I can't say I've ever seen Haibike claim over 50 miles on full power. Have a link for that?

Madbadger

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
Sheffield area
I can't say I've ever seen Haibike claim over 50 miles on full power. Have a link for that?
When you check on the lcd display it tells you how many miles you can get at different settings. In eco plus it says 105 miles, on high I’m sure it says 58 miles I will check. As for 30% over 15 mph no I don’t have a dongle fitted, on the flat I can manage 17mph and I believe the motor cuts off at just over 15mph so it should conserve power? Freewheeling doesn’t use power either, I was off-road 90% of the journey. Tyre pressure is at 43psi and there wasn’t that many hills.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
If the display is anything like the the bosch Active intuvia then what the display is giving is a notional calculation based on your consumption after the last few miles extrapolated on the amount of voltage in the battery pack. My car has something similar, and I can travel 50miles and it can claim that my range has actually increased!!!. Say that your cycle started with a long downhill section, it will then calculate on the basis of your consumption a great range, but when you turn the corner , hit the wind or go go uphill it soon changes.
Bear in mind that the range is infinite if you switch off the battery!

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I,ve got Haibike Hard7 and get almost exactly that claimed by display...
I have a 28 mile mixed off road, paths, bit of road and plenty of climbing which on my none emtb is a full days ride...Do it in around 2 hours on emtb and display is showing 1 mile left as I aproach car. Bike has done around 2000 miles ( cant say exactly because it had a dongle fitted when bought, which I removed..)
I was impressed with range when bought and I still am now. Range drops 15% or so when cold but otherwise I,ve not noticed any drop off. Hired a ktm last year and even tho it had 500wh battery thought my Haibike would have better range. ( but to be fair KTM felt a little more powerful, but not as controllable)
I only run around 30 psi in.mine .
I only use next to highest setting..cant see point in low settings...If I want more range....work harder...but for me 28 miles around Peak District is fine... ( I have a shorter route which when Dongle was fitted I averaged 18.2 mph...Flattened battery in just over the hour tho, Doesn't seem right flying around like that, nobody was about, its why I removed dongle..removes temptation)

Last edited:

Pandas

Just Joined
Aug 14, 2020
have a kalkhoff bike for 5 years, 2000 miles. Battery charges and seems to indicate the correct number of miles available related to the type of power you in, economy, sport, power. However either we are either getting older or the performance is not as it was. Is there a way of checking the battery in terms of performance rather than if it charges (which it does) or the predicted miles on a charge.

Advertisers