battery problem after storage update

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
I have checked the cell voltages which are shown below.
I checked voltage from pos to neg on each cell I assume and hope this is correct?

Dave can you please explain how I charge individual cells. Thanks .John

Voltages.jpg

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
After looking at your cell voltages, (well done, its great to see :D)

Before delving any deeper.. a question arises, what voltage is the charger giving out whilst charging ?

D

Deleted member 4366

The charger should charge each cell to 4.2v, so 42v total. You can use any 5v charger like a phone charger or usb charger. You'll have to make up some leads, or, if you've got an old one, cut off the connector and use the wires. Use your meter to check which way the wires go (polarity). You need to keep an eye on the voltage because the cell mustn't go over 4.2v. If you have a multi-pin connector on the BMS for the balance wires, it might be a good idea to disconnect it while you do this.

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Yes there is this connector which I will disconnect.

I take it that I do not need to de-solder the wires from posts to isolate the cell.

Should I charge all cells seperatly to 4.2v and keep meter on the cell as it is charging?

I appreciate your help so much Dave. John

003.jpg

Msg. to Old Dave sorry not checked charger output,
Those readings taken 10 hours after disconnecting from charger and were the same as fresh off charger.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I'd charge just the 3 or 4 low ones up to about 4.17. Once they're close, the BMS should manage the rest. You shouldn't need to leave your meter on. Check every half hour to see how it goes.
You can leave everything connected except that multi-pin connector. Even that is probably OK, but just to be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
Thanks For that Dave

Will do Old Dave. Do you really deserve that name??????????:D

I'd charge just the 3 or 4 low ones up to about 4.17. Once they're close, the BMS should manage the rest. You shouldn't need to leave your meter on. Check every half hour to see how it goes.
You can leave everything connected except that multi-pin connector. Even that is probably OK, but just to be safe.