Battery Problem

Patsy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 28, 2008
Hi

Can anyone help my pedal assistance is now very slow and the battery does not seem to have as much go in it.

Would this be the battery running down can any help

Patsy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've looked back through your posts and see that you have an Ecobike Runner Patsy.

I don't know how long you've owned it or how long it was in stock before you bought it, but the most likely cause is the battery failing, though it's impossible to be absolutely certain on such limited information.

Your battery casing holds three 12 volt 12 Ah SLA batteries wired together, so they can be replaced without replacing the whole thing. Can you return it to the original seller for those to be replaced if necessary?

Patsy

Oct 28, 2008
Battery on Ecobike

Hi

Thanks for the reply, to send it back it has to go all the way to Barcalona so not an option. Would this be why the power assistance is not as good i can here it kick in but not as much. Also does not seem as fast when using the throttle

Patsy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I said Patsy, that's the most likely reason, but it's impossible to be certain.

To get some idea of the battery age, how long have you owned the bike?

Patsy

Oct 28, 2008
Hi

I have had the bike dor 18 month there about so not long and have not ridden it every day so not had much use as far as i am concerned what is the life span of the Battery

Patsy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Then it's quite likely it's the battery Patsy. These SLA batteries don't last as long as car batteries since their working conditions are harder, and it's not unusual for them to only last for about 18 months. In addition, the bike may have been in stock at the dealers for a while. Once first used, the batteries deteriorate afterwards even when the bike isn't used.

The big advantage of those SLA batteries are that they are very much cheaper than other types like NiMh and lithium, so the replacement costs should not be too bad.

OneWayTraffic

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2009
Make sure that when you replace the batteries that you do so with deep cycle type batteries. Car batteries are simply unsuitable for ebike use. Aside from that charge them immediately after each and every ride. Letting them sit will basically kill them afaik. They still won't last forever though.

An alternative would be to get a Ping battery at 36v 10-20Ah or so. More expensive and you'll need to do some wiring, or get someone to wire it for you, but range and lifespan will be much improved.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Replacing the SLA batteries is not hard providing you are the type of person who can solder and use a screwdriver. The biggest problem can be getting hold of the correct size battery to fit your case.

I had a problem with my ebike, as the batteries were not easily available. In the end I ditched the SLA for an alternative. However, I did eventually find them available from Power Bicycles. I didn’t buy them so don’t know if they still sell them. They are listed on their web site at:
Parts - electric bikes - moto352

Alternatively, it is possible to replace the dead SLA's with a Ping battery, as has already been said, and as I did when my SLA batteries died at only 8 months old.
My Ping battery is now 13 months old and still happily pushing out around 40 volts and capable of handling 18 miles of Cornish hills.

My thread on the replacement can be found at:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1741-dilemma-replacing-my-sla-batteries.html?highlight=Ping#post22262

Pictures of my ebike can be found at:
Flickr: skmiles' Photostream

-----------------------------------------------
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w Hub motor (Jul07)
fitted with 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles
Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

Advertisers