Battery reconditioning cost?

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Anyone know the approximate cost of replacing cells in a Yamaha battery for a Haibike? Either 400 or 500 watt/hour, would prefer not to do it myself but understand there are companies that carry out this sort of work. Anyone know of one in the Midlands and what they might charge?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Are the Samsung cells regarded as the best? Would like the most I could get in the standard Yamaha casing really. Not sure how much it would cost though, assume it must be favourable to buying new?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id ask jimmy what he would recommend but imo £3-400 bosch are harder so might be a bit more.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My brothers Bosch gen1 battery was upgraded with Panasonic GA still 40 cells but more wh about 2 years ago cost was 275 then. MJ1 or GA are the best 10a rated high capacity cell, probably the best cell is Sony VTC6/A but pricey.
Best cell for low power and energy density is Samsung 35E, tested and backed up by NASA boffins who selected the cell over all others for there space power solutions.
Worst cycle life for a top rated cell is currently Samsung 30Q.
Best cell cycle life is Boston 5300mah Swing cell at 3000 according to spec sheets.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Thanks for replies guys, don't need re celling just yet but am looking forward, as my 2 batteries are 2016 and 2017 made. Don't seem too bad on range, although the cold weather miles are less than summer miles by about 10% ish? Have read good reports about Insat, but does anybody in the Midlands do this sort of work? Would be easier dropping off/ picking up.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There are others offering recelling, but I don't think any have the quality of welder or experience that Jimmy(Insat)does. He arranges courier pickup from your home and return, so you just have to find a suitable box and some bubble wrap.

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Thanks Pete, that's good to know. And on the subject of chargers, I see Bosch have brought out a fast 6 amp charger, any idea if Yamaha may do the same?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
fast charging is ok now and then but id not use it all the time as you will degrade the cells the faster you charge them.

a slower charge is better for the cells long term.

Reactions: Robbieg

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
So if you get a 4A charger with Bosch as "standard" and they do a 2A which is more portable it'd maybe be worth getting one if it's for home charging??

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will just take double the time to charge ;)

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
Take your point Soundwave, maybe I should change my focus. In the past I've done a lot of long distance events, 150 miles on a sunday on a conventional bike was a regular thing, but now ime a lot older I,m not involved in those events anymore. I,m more of a leisure cyclist now and thought of a 24 hour ride seems less attractive now. I do like to cover a decent distance over a day though, maybe 100 miles in favourable conditions, and depending on the route and available charging points this can be difficult. I now have 2 batteries with a total of 900 watt hours available, but will still probably have to plan properly as repeating stiff climbs can soon eat into the range. So do I need to rethink the type of cycling I do as ime now three score plus one in age? I've seen lots of old club men struggle as they've got older but carry on battling against the miles. The obvious answer is if you enjoy it, do it! But if it becomes a chore, maybe re-evaluate and take a different tact. However, that subject is for a different thread. The battery and recharging issues is prominent for touring and perhaps less so for MTB ers who can be fairly sure a trail can be completed easily on a full charge. But as pointed out, a fast recharge is not recommended if you want to look after your battery.

Advertisers