battery replacement

markhorton

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2020
Hi,

Ive got a Westhill terrain e bike with a dead battery (it didn't last long around 50 cycles). Do I have to shell out 400 GBP that they charge for a replacement, or are there cheaper alternatives. The slot for the battery under the saddle is pretty small (70 /80mm) and it seems that most batteries nowadays are rather wider. Its 35V 10 Ah. Thanks for any advice.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Hi,

Ive got a Westhill terrain e bike with a dead battery (it didn't last long around 50 cycles). Do I have to shell out 400 GBP that they charge for a replacement, or are there cheaper alternatives. The slot for the battery under the saddle is pretty small (70 /80mm) and it seems that most batteries nowadays are rather wider. Its 35V 10 Ah. Thanks for any advice.
50 cycles is poor, how old is it?
It would be cheaper to have it re-celled by Jimmy at Insat International. You will find lots of posts about him on the forum. If you take photos of the battery and send it to him he will be able to give you a quote.

Reactions: Ray Winder

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Westhill use a slimline version of the popular silverfish battery case which I don't think is available anywhere else, so, as Jonah says, re-cell is prob. the way to go. There maybe a fixable fault with your battery, which Jimmy can fix.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Hi,

50 cycles seems really low
if you bought it new - and the time span hasn't been toooo long then try contacting the original seller - you might be able to get it replaced
Modern batteries should last at least 10 times that long

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Pswpower have some German stock batteries, I got a 48v for £150 LG cell, but you have to think about replacing the battery mount so make sure anything new fits before purchase, YOSE do some cheap bottle batteries with Chinese cells

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
50 cycles seems really low
if you bought it new - and the time span hasn't been toooo long then try contacting the original seller - you might be able to get it replaced
Modern batteries should last at least 10 times that long
I absolutely agree with that. However, are you sure you didn't abuse your battery in some way. Sadly there are lots of ways of doing that and they are not generally all made clear; in fact people don't even agree exactly which are and are not important.
  • Regularly overcharging the battery by leaving it on charge too long.
    Apart from occasional long charge to balance, try to stop charge very soon after the light goes green.

• Leaving a fully charged battery unused over a significant period (over week or so?)

• Leaving the battery over a period so the charge drops too low,

• Hammering the battery by using the bike on full power almost all the time.
    Most batteries are designed so sensible continuous amps is way below peak amps.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
Yes - I agree - but I had my previous ebike for over 10 years and normally left it on charge overnight - because they were a new thing and I knew no better. I also seldom used it over the winter so it would be left in the shed (battery and all) in all temperature (OK UK - so seldom very negative)

But the batteries (first plus second to replace that one) both lasted over 5 years with several cycles a week during the summer. At the end of that the oldest battery still had about 50% capacity in it based on mileage.

So total death after only 50 cycles still sounds like you would have a case for returning it - even if you haven't treated if perfectly

Reactions: sjpt

markhorton

Just Joined
Mar 29, 2020
Many thanks for all this! I may not have exactly followed these guidelines but not far off - and so it seems odd. Westhill of course refused to replace the battery as it was out warranty (over a year old). Jimmy seems to be off for CV19, but I will try.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
As PC2017 has said, you could mount a small bottle battery in the frame triangle using the bottle mounts, it's a cheaper option. You will prob. have to extend the wires a little. Something like this should fit, measure your frame to make sure.
There are cheaper options, but this one has decent LG cells in it.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Something like this should fit
This is a great option and we know from experience YOSE has a decent CS and to add I think the LG-MH is a better cell than the LG-M26

Advertisers