Battery review: Hailong 13Ah Frame Battery from Eclipse Bikes.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Having just purchased one of these, I thought I'd give some feedback.

I've been waiting for them to come back in stock for a month or so now, so when I noticed they had some I ordered straight away, on Saturday morning.

£247 including delivery, which I think is quite good value for money.

It arrived today (Wednesday), so delivery time was pretty good. It was well packaged, so no complaints there.

I began fitting it straight away.

First job, connect a new power cord, as I don't like the bullet crimps that are standard on most batteries/controllers. This was easy, as the cable is soldered in place in a compartment in the base.

Like most of these frame batteries, there's a separate base that's attached to the bike, and the battery's attached to that.

In this case, the base is mostly plastic. It's a bit flimsy, but I think it'll be strong enough.

There aren't enough holes in it though, and I ended up drilling more so it would fit on my frame. Not a deal breaker, but other bases I've seen have more options.

Once fitted, its just a matter of clicking the battery in place and locking with they supplied (2) keys.

I double checked the polarity, and noted that it was almost fully charged and ready to go, at about 41.2v.

Connected up, I took it for a spin turning the power to max to give it a good thrashing. It had no problem delivering 17A without significant sag. It's specified as 15-20A.

In conclusion, it does what it says on the tin, base could be better but not the end of the world.

I think it looks pretty good on the bike.

(Note: I have no connection with Eclipse Bikes, received no incentive nor sought permission to write this review.)

Last edited: