Battery testing

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
I'm new to ebikes and would like to know the basic checks I need to make upon receipt of my new battery to make sure everything is as it should be. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where I could find a checklist of the checks that are needed so I can be confident I've got a good battery?

D

Deleted member 4366

You charge it up and check the voltage half an hour later. It should be close to what you measure on the charger except some LiFePO4 batteries drift down a bit.

You connect a wattmeter between the battery and controller, and then go out for a long ride until the battery is flat. Unfortunately, on some bikes the battery BMS trips at a higher voltage than the controller. If yours is like that, the wattmeter will go off too and you'll lose the results, so it's a good idea to check the wattmeter frequently as your battery runs down to empty.The main result of concern is the amp-hours, which should correspond with its specification. If it turns out short on capacity and the battery goes off before the controller, you could check the cut-off voltage. If it's higher than 31v, the battery could be out of balance for whatever reason.

To be honest, it's best not to check unless you've got a money-back guarantee. I've never had a duff new battery yet.