Battery upgrade problems

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Hello forum. I cycle 16 miles to work so I have been looking for a larger battery. My bike EC03 uses a 6 pin joycube Phylion. Got a 6 pin Phylion from ysbatt this fitted but now the bike won't run. On pressing the controller light 2 flashes then lights 1&2 flash. Does anyone know what error this is.
20190317_111615.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I told you not to get a battery until you've figured out the connections. You have two options now.
1. Open up the old battery to figure out which pins are connected and what functions the connections have.
2. Get a new controller that uses a two-wire connection to the battery and wire it in to the old controller's battery connector.

The problem is that some controllers are smarter than others when it comes to the battery. Some talk to the battery to ask it if it's OK to connect. Some read sensors in the battery to see that it's OK before switching on. Some switch the battery on remotely, regardless of how it is. Some don't do anything. You switch the battery on and that's it. You need to find out which you have.

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
If I don't I will have to pay to get it repaired. The bike won't work on the old battery which is perfectly ok so it seems the replacement has shorted out the controller. So I either buy a replacement original controller and stick with the original 9ah battery, or upgrade to a new controller and the larger battery. Even going back to the orig may be tricky. Peugeot has stopped selling cycles in the UK so there are now no UK dealers. So I conclude I should price a new original controller and take the loss on the battery and look at a controller upgrade cost. Any suggestions on where I can original and new other controllers

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This is going to take ages because of the non-standard wiring and connectors. First, you need to identify the ground pin in your old battery. It's most likely one of the outer two, so probe between them to see if you can get any voltage between them. If you can't, put the black probe on one of the outside ones and probe all the others, then do the same for the other outer one. That should identify it and what voltage is on what pin.

Then do the same to the new battery, which should allow us to assess the likely damage to your system.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
What about all the other pins? I expected 5 results for each battery. If you want a quick solution, please do what I say.

Place the battery up the way it goes on the bike with the six slots facing you. The left pin is pin 1, so lets see for each battery:
Pin1 = ?V
Pin2 = ?V
Pin3 = ?v
Pin4 = ?V
Pin5 = ?V
Pin6 = ?V
Please identify which pin is the ground.

Is there a switch on the new battery?
Is the new battery charged?

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Hi pin 1 on the left is ground. On the original battery pin 2 0v pin 3 0v pin4 0v pin 5 0v pin 6 41.8v. New battery fully charged charger shows green. Red power switch under Meath does not seem to do anything. Voltages are pin 1 is ground. Pin 2 0v pin 3 0v pin 4 11.4v pin 5 0v pin 6 11.4 v.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You get a voltage like 11.4v when the BMS is switched off. Replacement batteries are normally dumb and they don't allow remote switching, but you haven't given any details of what it is or where you got it from, so I can't confirm that.

Assuming that it is a dumb battery, the question is why the BMS is switched off. The common reasons are that the on/off switch is off, it's drained flat, one cell is faulty, the BMS is faulty, multipin connector not in properly.

Even with the BMS switched off, you have the same voltage on two pins, which could mean that the pins are doubled up like I explained in your previous thread. You need to confirm that by setting your meter to read continuity (beep), then check between pins 1 and 2, and 5 and 6. If they are connected in pairs that would be very nasty for your electrical system if it was trying to communicate through pin 5.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Now that we know the pins that have power on your old battery, we should be able to figure out whether it has remote switching. Pin 1 is ground and pin 6 is battery voltage. The pin that powers the motor goes directly to the MOSFETs, so check that pin 1 has continuity to the back plate on any MOSFET and pin 6 has continuity to the right leg when oriented like the photo in your previous thread with the wires exiting on the right. The MOSFETs are those 6 plate things screwed to the edge of the controller.

If pin 6 is not connected to the right leg, see which pin is. Also, if none of that shows anything, try it the other way round with pin 1 to the right leg and pin 6 to the back plate.

Note - by back plate, I mean the Part of the MOSFET, not the side of the controller that its screwed to. You can use the middle leg too because it's internally connected to the back plate.

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
I am at work at the no so I can't check anything yet. I can confirm the original battery has no on off switch. When you put the original battery back on the display runs the start up then has a flashing no 2 indicating a fault.

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Left the replacement on charge all day even though the charger was green. Outer two pins show 11v inner 0v. If you disconnect charger outer two show 18v. Confusing but interesting. The main controller shows a resistance of 65 ohm on the positive and ground pins and the power transistors. All the inner pins show nothing.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There must be something wrong with your meter. It's a direct connection between the battery and the MOSFETs, so there should be no resistance, but at least we've established that that part of your controller is normal.

You didn't answer whether pin 2 is joined to pin 1 on your new battery..

What do you mean that the outer two pins show 11V? I thought that we had already established that the outer two pins are pin 1 ground (0V) and pin 6 battery voltage. Please only use pin numbers in your description.

measure the voltage coming out of the charger, just to eliminate the possibility that its fuse is blown.

Last edited:

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Closure. Clone battery returned. New battery controller installed as original was fused by clone battery. Original battery re installed. Back on the road.

Advertisers