battery upgrade

Mark Collins

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 24, 2018
hi i have just purchased a ebike with a 350watt motor 36volt 17amp controller and a 36volt 10amphr battery i would like more range from the bike so does anyone know if i can change to a 36volt 15 amphr battery.
cheers mark

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The ah/capacity can be anything as long as the battery is 36v.

Mark Collins

Nov 24, 2018
The ah/capacity can be anything as long as the battery is 36v.
i bought a 36 volt 15ah but whenni switced it on it blew the battery fuse did nit even get chance power up the bike or switch on the digital readbout, i have returned it to the seller for refund i thinke the battery was faulty, and niw you have replied wiyh this information i am sure thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Possibly a battery fault or just a bad fuse. Wrong polarity will ruin a controller if no fuse is install between the pair so I always check battery polarity with a meter, wrong polarity will cause the fuse to blow . Don't always take for granted that polarity is correct, mistakes can be made. It doesn't take much for a mixed up connection on the discharge port.

Ah = more wh which = more range as you know , more range doesn't cause a fuse or controller to blow.

I quite often connect batteries in parallel so will have 29ah or more on 36v or 48v with an inline fuse as protection , mainly as protection for current discharge but also in the past for when using lipo's .
Easy to connect up in error.

Ps edited.
I typed 'polarity can cause the fuse to blow', can should have read will.

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Nov 24, 2018
Possibly a battery fault or just a bad fuse. Wrong polarity will ruin a controller if no fuse is install between the pair so I always check battery polarity with a meter, wrong polarity can cause the fuse to blow . Don't always take for granted that polarity is correct, mistakes can be made. It doesn't take much for a mixed up connection on the discharge port.

Ah = more wh which = more range as you know , more range doesn't cause a fuse or controller to blow.

I quite often connect batteries in parallel so will have 29ah or more on 36v or 48v with an inline fuse as protection , mainly as protection for current discharge but also in the past for when using lipo's .
Easy to connect up in error.

Mark Collins

Nov 24, 2018
i think it was a faulty battery a i replaced the fuse three times and my old battery and the new battery had the same polarity mark on the base's, the bike is working fine with the old battery, its just that all the battery seller's on ebay can't confirm if i can upgrade the ah of the battery.
cheers mark

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just be cause the polarity is marked doesn't mean it is correct, only checking with a meter will confirm. It might only be one in a million that is wrong and you might have had the one.

Mark Collins

Nov 24, 2018
Just be cause the polarity is marked doesn't mean it is correct, only checking with a meter will confirm. It might only be one in a million that is wrong and you might have had the one.
i agree but the bike is working fine now with the old battery back on it so no damage i didn't jave a meter to rest polarity, returned the battery waiting for a refund now have to start again in the new year its just such a pain returning things especially when the seller has no clue about the item they are selling.