Bbafang BBSHD vs CYC X1 Pro - Comparing the two most popular DIY ebike mid drive motor systems

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thing is if i want to build a bike to the specs i want it cant be done yet.

it needs to be 15kg inc batt go 50mph for 50 miles non stop min range.

a m8 has a 750w bafang midrive and using the throttle can nuke the batt in 13 miles and its a17ah batt.

• Agree
Reactions: georgehenry

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I guess it all depends what you want. I come from mountain bike riding and off road motorcycle riding and have really enjoyed how well my Haibike mid drive merges the simplicity of acoustic mountain biking with the benefit of some motor assistance like I get from my off road motorcycle.

When I first got it I also liked the freedom of being able to ride my Haibike pretty much where ever I liked without any issues from anyone I came across.

When I bought my bike in 2015 I hardly ever saw another electric bike either on the road or off it. It felt like a golden period like being a pioneer. Now they are much more common.

What my Haibike could do that no acoustic mountain bike could do was carry a heavy me and two full panniers 10 miles on the road home from work and average 20 mph for 10 miles.

However even on that journey I was managing how I used the power, balancing speed, power and my battery consumption. It was not just a case of wacking my assist to full and setting off. I still used my low assist and off on the down hills. The higher power setting was reserved for maintaining speed on uphill gradients.

I wanted to ride 10 miles in half an hour and still have more than half of my 400Wh battery left. It actually achieved this for four and a half years. It was only in the winter that I dipped anywhere near using 50% of my battery.

So for me it was not about top speed, though of course that can be fun, but more about average speed and battery consumption to achieve it.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Advertisers