BBC man tries Swytch conversion

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
These aren't new of course but he found a little issue with the power assist fitting.
How do front wheel motors affect the steering? Are they harder to control?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Front drive motors can be an issue on a road bike that maybe already has twitchy steering. Worse if the battery is handlebar mounted (as in Swytch). Most people find they are no problem on a hybrid or town/utility bike.

I wouldn't want a cadence sensor bike without brake cutoff sensors; the lack of those may be some of the issue he saw.

Swytch are convenient but not very good value for a front wheel kit.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A lot depends on the style and weight of the bike. Front wheel motors aren't bad on Dutch style bikes, but you can feel a big difference on light hybrid or road bike. A battery on the handlebars adds to the problem. It gives you a slight pendulum affect on the steering. None of these things are deal-breakers. It's more that you notice the difference.

The biggest problem with front motors is the strength of your front forks, in particular, the drop-outs. Some forks have very weak drop-outs, not strong enough to resist the motor's torque, and when your motor spins out, you go straight over the bars and land on your face. Again, it's no problem if the motor is installed properly and the forks are strong enough.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think Spencer Kelly's problem is in the pedal sensor.
The sensor is cabletied to the seat tube and can easily rotate/move.
Those two halves that clip together to make up the magnet disc are also not very reliable. I still have a box of about 100 of them and stopped supply them years ago after one customer knocked it with his left shoe and sent me pictures.