BBS-01/2 into 73mm BB shell

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I have an MTB with a 73mm BB, currently fitted with a Shimano SM-BB70 Deore XT Hollow Tech.
I've been liking the idea of fitting a BBS-01 or 02, but they are stated as being for 68mm BB shell. Is there any leeway in the design of the BBS fittings to make it fit? If not, how feasible is it to reduce the BB shell by 2.5mm each side? (I can physically do it, but would I reduce the screw threaded inner too much?)
Any observations or alternative solutions welcome:)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm just about to reduce my 73mm Rocky mountain by 2.5mm on the drive side because my Derailleur doesn't quite reach the smallest chain-wheel. I'm going to mark it and then grind it with an angle grinder. I can't believe that 2.5mm will do any harm. The threads normally go in a long way.

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I'm just about to reduce my 73mm Rocky mountain by 2.5mm on the drive side because my Derailleur doesn't quite reach the smallest chain-wheel. I'm going to mark it and then grind it with an angle grinder. I can't believe that 2.5mm will do any harm. The threads normally go in a long way.
That's what I thought, thanks Dave:). I suppose I need to strip the BB out to check first to be sure, but it's beginning to sound more of a possibilty.