BBS-01 kit and hidden wire brake sensors

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
Hi,

I received my BBS-01 kit recently and have decided that I might want to invest in some hidden wire brake sensors, instead of using the brake lever supplied with the kit.

Can anyone with more knowledge of these kits advise if these hwbs's can be sourced with the same fitting as the BBS-01 kit?

Thanks.

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi Kramer,

I will not hide safety from you but to me this idea seems sensor-less. Sorry that's my knowledge. I've heard of hiding the battery though :).

MS.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's better to cut the connectors off and use your own, or solder them. Even if you get sensors with the right connector, they can have the pins a different way round, and there's no chance to change them because they're moulded. it's also very difficult to figure out which way round they are unless you get a clear instruction from the supplier.

Kramer

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2013
Fair enough Dave, thought I may have to do that in the end.
Bafang ought to include some in their kit instead of, or as well as, the brake levers

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
You can dismantle the brake lever and pull out the hall sensor and still use the existing connector. I've done just that on my kit - see the photo below for how I've set it up to activate from my rear brake:-

I just used a bigger magnet rather than the tiddly little one in the switch and heat shrunk over the end of the hall sensor and then Araldited the magnet in place.

You can do the same thing with the other sensor in the kit to add it on your gear shifter to cut power when shifting to take a load off the drive train.

byebyepetrol

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 3, 2014
Oooh you cunning fox. \
I'm in the same boat as Kramer.

Thanks for the tip amigafan2003.

Speaking of Amigas I've got an A1200 with an '030 board that used to run rings around my PC. Breathless 3D kept me entertained back then and needed the extra grunt.

Oldie

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2013
Scotland
You can dismantle the brake lever and pull out the hall sensor and still use the existing connector. I've done just that on my kit - see the photo below for how I've set it up to activate from my rear brake:-

I just used a bigger magnet rather than the tiddly little one in the switch and heat shrunk over the end of the hall sensor and then Araldited the magnet in place.

You can do the same thing with the other sensor in the kit to add it on your gear shifter to cut power when shifting to take a load off the drive train.
My existing levers incorporate my shifters. Is this a simple way to modify them by using the sensors in the brake levers supplied with kits, or is it a bit more complicated than that? Thanks

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it really - just need to put your thinking cap on.

It might even be possible to use the switch without dismantling it and extracting the hall sensor - I did this on my other bike, see below:-

Reactions: Oldie
D

Deleted member 4366

My existing levers incorporate my shifters. Is this a simple way to modify them by using the sensors in the brake levers supplied with kits, or is it a bit more complicated than that? Thanks
There's always something you can do with a reed switch or hall sensor, a magnet and a bit of imagination, but in your situation a couple of hidden wire brake sensors would be the simplest solution.