Bbs01 12H error

Pmc1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
So yesterday I took my Bbs01 equipped bike around the Gwydir Mawr trail in Wales.
25km of steep uphill and even steeper downhill.
Had a great time and the motor helped propel me and the bike uphill.
This morning I went for a gentle ride along the north Wales coastal cycle path.
The bike ran fine - in fact it felt more powerful than usual.
After about 5km I noticed that the display was showing a 12H error message but the motor continued to offer a level of assist.
I stopped for an ice cream and when I turned on the display it worked normally for a couple of seconds before showing the 12H error code again.
The motor continued to offer a somewhat reduced and non alterable level of assist.
I have removed the controller and there are no visible loose connections.
When I turn the pedals manually with the bike on a work stand the motor kicks in with a high level of assist and when pedalling along the street the motor continues to work but I have no control over the level of assist as the display just shows the error code.
I have disconnected the throttle but this hasn’t made any difference.
Have I fried my controller or is there some other explanation?

Pmc1

Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
Thanks for the reply Peter C.
I have now discovered that I can alter the level of assist by turning on the display and quickly entering the desired level before the display flashes its error code.
The motor seems to be working fine and if I press the level assist buttons + and - while on the move I can alter the assist level, the only problem being that as the display is busy flashing the error code I have to guess which level of assist I am running.
I have swapped the display for another one but it too flashes the error code.
So I am hoping that the controller isn’t finished but I am at a loss as to why I am getting the error code 12.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I had the same code. Long story short - the bike worked intermittently. Generally well after a decent period of shutdown and then went after anything from 100yards to 6 miles

Over time (about a week) it just Got worse. It just didn't feel like a controller issue. But Brighton ebikes in particular felt different

They were right, a new controller and nothing else fixed the problem. And I did try everything else!

Pmc1

Apr 19, 2018
Wirral
I had the same code. Long story short - the bike worked intermittently. Generally well after a decent period of shutdown and then went after anything from 100yards to 6 miles

Over time (about a week) it just Got worse. It just didn't feel like a controller issue. But Brighton ebikes in particular felt different

They were right, a new controller and nothing else fixed the problem. And I did try everything else!
Thanks for that.
I’ve emailed the supplier to see where I stand with their 12 months guarantee.