Help! BBS01 and Alfine 8 problems

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
I recently converted my Wisper 906 XC from a Dapu front hub to a bbs01 ( wanting to stay legal) . It has an Alfine 8 hub. Much nicer. 2 related problems however.1. The Alfine doesn’t want to change down to the low gears. So on a hill when I change down it stays in a higher gear. Easing of on the power or tapping the brake cut off makes no difference. The indexing seems ok as the 2 yellow markers align in the hub in gear 4. It also changes fine when the motor is switched off but not standing on the pedals. Any ideas? . 2. The related prob is that when I start repedalling after changing there is a lag before the power kicks in. Not long but long enough to lose momentum on a hill especially if the Alfine hasn’t changed down as it should! I have a cable for the laptop so is there a setting change that might help? This dows mar the Bafang but if the change down had occurred wouldn’t be quite so bad.
Sufficiently fed up with the Alfine not changing that thinking of swapping it out for a used Rohloff!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not long but long enough to lose momentum on a hill especially if the Alfine hasn’t changed down as it should!
use the throttle for hill start.
The throttle controls the motor without lag.
Do like you would with a manual gearbox on hill, when you cut back on the throttle, the motor will instantly cut out, change gear then push the throttle again.

Reactions: Audio2

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The knack with the bbs01 and alfine is be one gear lower than you think with the motor spinning up at the bottom of the hill, its a fatal mistake to make the motor labour the motor it has to wizzing ,and if starting from a stop a hill start as above use the throttle instant power
Post your settings the standard ones are a lottery

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I've been using bbs with alfine 8 for 9000miles

I've never had what you describe. It doesn't sound to me like a fault with bafang or the alfine hub but the gear shifter and/or cable

Might be worth running it past your LBS ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Adrian should try Peter.c's suggestion, run the Alfine one gear lower than now to ease the pressure on the cogs to see how it goes. Crank drives need higher cadence.
I have never had any trouble with hub gears.

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
I've been using bbs with alfine 8 for 9000miles

I've never had what you describe. It doesn't sound to me like a fault with bafang or the alfine hub but the gear shifter and/or cable

Might be worth running it past your LBS ?
Thanks for this. I’ve already tried my LBS and they say it’s ahidtinh ok without the motor but it is usual for them not to shift under any sort of load. Their view is that it doesn’t work with load from mid motor. But I know there are people on this forum like you who have been v happy with Alfine/ BBS01 combination. Hence my post. I am thinking next of taking out the centre of the hub, soaking it in EP90 and the regressing beatings before reinstalling with new cable and a different shifter ( I would prefer nexus twister to my rapid fire as have a weak thumb( age!). Any ideas?

Adrianlle

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2018
Adrian should try Peter.c's suggestion, run the Alfine one gear lower than now to ease the pressure on the cogs to see how it goes. Crank drives need higher cadence.
I have never had any trouble with hub gears.
I’ll try this too once I’ve regressed etc. On the other hand there is always a second hand Rohloff to think about!!!!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I know they mean...a bit

I did have a 500w version with some vicious programming which would t allow the alfine time to shift. It did a horrible whirring sound until you took the power off for a moment

That was solved by using a gear change sensor . This momentarily reduces the power as you change gear. It much more subtle than a throttle blip or brief brake tweak.

I seem to recall that different alfine 8 versions need different shifters and you are stuck with alfine specific ones as the gears have different cable pull lengths. Or something. Don't quote me on that!