BBS01 brake switch modding

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
For anyone wanting to mod brake switches to use with different levers etc.
If you cut the lead off the provided hand brakes you will find a red (5v), black (0v) and blue wire (sensor output) , if you short blue and black it activates the brake switch cutting off the motor.
So if you wish you can use a micro switch or reed switch to activate the brake cut off, giving may more options.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Or dismantle and use the wiring as is cover the end with heat shrink and a magnet for hall sensoring.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Or dismantle and use the wiring as is cover the end with heat shrink and a magnet for hall sensoring.
Can you get the switch assembly out without cutting the wire, as the switch body wont go through the cable hole and the connector wont either?

I was trying to work out the best way to operate the brake cut out for my trike as compared to the supplied levers the trikes levers give much more power and have parking brake buttons to lock then on, it stops the trike going walk about without the rider :)
So I wanted to my increase my options for the cut outs.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes... Remove the circlip from u/s of lever and remove pin/spring, unscrew gland nut at cable end and slide it through to access sensor assembly. Then it is a simple job of lifting the two small tabs to unclip the plunger head and accessing the sensor and magnet. Once the bits inside are carefully dislodged you can withdraw the sensor intact back through the lever body with out the need to cut any wiring.
On my shimano lever body I was able to drill a hole through from the back and insert the hall sensored cable and positiona magnet for cut off. There is a picture dfsc0008 on page 3 in the thread Conversion kit opinions with it in situ, the magnet was just in a temp position to check operation.

Last edited:

Stuart Kellock

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2013
Bristol
Hey Guys and dolls,

If anybody could add some pics of their attempts I would be sooo grateful.

I recently converted my family cargo bike with a bbs02 but the original break leavers had a unique locking button on them so the bike didn't roll away while unloading the kids.

I'm more of a visual person and photos would really help.

As you can see my leaver has a cool little spring mounted button.

Stuart

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello Stuart, I will upload a few pics tomorrow when I have a little more time. Elife bike (China) and Eclipsebikes (UK) also sell a sensored cable(pair) with yellow connector for all BBS.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Been a bit busy so will try on Sunday.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I had the same issue similar brake buttons, my solution unfortunately wont work on most bikes, I have fitted a micro switch on the drum brake arm at the front wheels.
My order of small reed switches arrived today so the micro switch will get tossed and a reed switch will get fitted to each wheel and wired in parallel from each wheel to make a neater install.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Dismantled BBS01 brake lever switch and brake wire for hdb in position, magnet on lever has Sugru covering and also some around the entry hole on the rear of body, heat shrink is used to cover hall sensor so moisture/water proof.
Staurt if you are able to do some thing similar with your lock lever when in the locked position the throttle would automatically be disabled as well.

Attachments

Last edited: