BBS01 in the Alps

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Hi guys, I am in the fortunate position of being able to spend long periods of time in the Alps. As a keen cyclist I find it a bit of a binding to have to put our bikes on the car before we can ride anywhere as the road back to the apartment is a 20% gradient for about a kilometre, not impossible by myself but no way with the wife. We are also surrounded by 900m vertical distance climbs.
My question is how would a BBS01 deal with this, not expecting to ride full time under power only on these big climbs. Bikes are both 27 speed hardtail Boardmans, I know I will lose the triple chainwheels but am hoping I can manage to get a 34/44 dual working with one of the adapters available on Ebay

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it should be easy peasy.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Riding any ebike unpowered is horrid, particularly so for a keen cyclist used to the unique pleasure of riding a lightweight bicycle.

Even a powered ebike cannot match that.

It will help you up hills, but don't expect too much from a 250w legal ebike.

On 20 per cent gradients there will still be plenty of pedalling to do, fine for you, but maybe not so good for the wife.

As regards gearing, I don't see the point of rigging a 34/44 compact double on the front, the difference in those two rings is hardly enough to be worthwhile.

D

Deleted member 4366

You'll have the same problem as me. Wherever I ride, the last 5 miles is continuously uphill. A 1km 20% hill will consume a lot of battery, so you'll have a lot of anxiety about whether you've conserved enough to get home, so you should make sure that you plan sufficient battery capacity.

The BBS01 is probably a good choice. I think I'd be happy in the Alps with one. Without knowing your weight, it's not possible to say whether it's OK for you or whether there's better options.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Riding any ebike unpowered is horrid, particularly so for a keen cyclist used to the unique pleasure of riding a lightweight bicycle.

Even a powered ebike cannot match that.

It will help you up hills, but don't expect too much from a 250w legal ebike.

On 20 per cent gradients there will still be plenty of pedalling to do, fine for you, but maybe not so good for the wife.

As regards gearing, I don't see the point of rigging a 34/44 compact double on the front, the difference in those two rings is hardly enough to be worthwhile.
Rob have you ever ridden a BBS01 equipt bike?

Op your gearing with dual rings is ideal the lowest gear should allow almost effortless riding up hill even at 20%
I have a BBS01 on a recumbent trike with gearing that works out very close to the gear inch a 34-32 on a 26" wheel will give, I can climb a 20% grade with no effort.
My gearing is 46-32 on a 20" wheel the all up weight including batteries is 19 or 19.5 kg I haven't weighed it for a while, plus 70kg for the rider.
The big trick is to keep the cadence up, shift to keep the motor spinning free equals no heat build up on prolonged steep hills and great assist.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a watt meter wired in and find with the BBS01 you never draw full amps even with pas in highest level of assist its only when you use the throttle at the same time as a turbo boost do you see top amps drawn, then you will seriously drain a battery. One consideration for climbing Chris is as you have mentioned fit a front 42/44t chain ring or even 38t and a rear cassette with 36/42t low gear. Labour the motor and it will get hot and be drawing top amps keep cadence high and it will be sweet.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob have you ever ridden a BBS01 equipt bike?
Not for long enough to work out ideal climbing cadence.

In broad brush terms, the BBS01 seemed to have about the same amount of poke as my Bosch bikes.

Several posters have talked about heat build up in the BBS01.

Not encouraging for an Alpine application, where the climbs are known more for length than steepness.

I've hammered up a couple of long passes in Lancashire on my Bosch bikes - no detectable heat in the motor casing when I reached the top.

The OP seems to think he and the wife could use the motor only on hills.

Lots of non-ebikers think that.

While it's possible - all systems have an on/off switch - my view is that practically it's a non-starter.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
OK so a few different opinions there, no surprises there then it is an Internet forum;-)
Rob can you tell me why it would be so bad to ride unpowered, I am only adding the same weight as a camelback full of water with the motor then the weight of the battery on top. A 34 will give me a far better gear to climb in than the 44 which is where I spend most of my time when riding normally.
D8evh I am 54, 85 kilos and when I was commuting and working did around 10th miles per year, not quite as fit as that now but over the summer when the bike gets a lot of use in the UK I average 18mph on mtb with fast tyres or 20mph on road bike.
Maybe I need to try a bike with a BBS01 fitted answer see how it goes.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Scott_ j not far from me built 2 BBS01 bikes for the Alp d'heures for his wife and himself, he hasn't posted for over a year but a pm to him might help you with any Q & A 's. Some where there was even a thred on here.

D

Deleted member 4366

D8evh I am 54, 85 kilos and when I was commuting and working did around 10th miles per year, not quite as fit as that now but over the summer when the bike gets a lot of use in the UK I average 18mph on mtb with fast tyres or 20mph on road bike.
A guy like you won't have any trouble with a BBS01. If you were a bit lighter, a hub-motor could have been an option. As others have said, with all motors, you mustn't let then slow down too much under load, otherwise they become inefficient and then start to heat up.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Also think hard about what type of battery you use. A BBS01 will be fine but 20% over a km will cause some serious battery sag, get one with quality cells. A 15 or 17 Ah battery will be the best idea so that you have plenty of reserve left for the final climb.