BBS01 recumbent and thousandth post

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
This is my 1000 th post here,so better make it a good un.

My recumbent is fast however I am slowing down. Athsma and 4*4s see to that so how do I keep going

I have has a few bikes and appreciate the assistance for the hills that slow an old fat man.
Which kit to fit hub or crank drive?
Well having had a both I have been spoiled by the Panasonic crank drive. It's natural feel and efficient drive felt good to me.
Compared to the crappy hub drive I had it left me feeling that was the way.
As far as power and efficiency goes the small hub could have been an option but doubt over setting up a disk braked wheel concerned me.
So when eBay gave me a special discount I bought a BBS01 kit £300.
Fitting was simple gear puller to get the cranks off.
Slotting the BBS into the bottom bracket required a bit of dremeling to remove a band of proud material.
Then slotting was easy.

I have hydraulic brakes so time to order a cutout switch along with a speed extension cable.
Well my bottom bracket is out front and the standard won't reach the magnet on the wheel.
So extension and cutout switch sorted what about battery.
I have a few liposuction so a pair of 3ah 5s gave me a test rig.
The standard conectors were andersons on the BBS but the lipos have xt60's no problem and a quick solder job jobbed.
Test run time with 3ah batteries I hoped to get 10 miles. Er the battery meter didn't go down until 12 miles and didn't cut out until 20+ miles...
That was good and HK had some 16 Ah 4 and 6s for £100 delivered.
Time to buy.
The bike is now set with factory power settings 15 amp but without the throttle I should only draw 10a (60%)

What's it like to ride.
Well top speed is down with only a 46 on the front 30mph is spin out time.
It crushes at 17 on the flat and the power delivery is on/off. Not good for slow speed manuver and when it finally comes in its all or nothing. Right gear required to start on a hill or forget it.
However I the right gear it pulls beautify despite the low power.
I left a decent cyclist for dead this morning accelerating to 16 and then the recumbent cut through the wind and he disappeared I'm my mirrors.
The speedo works but over 35mph. I think the anti bounce ccts cut in and the recorded speed falls to 17 ish and as I continue down hill I know I'm doing 40+ but the speedo lies.
With the 16ah battery I himage.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg ave done 105 miles and my battery meter still hasn't dropped the first segment.
But the tester says I have around 50% left. We shall see how accurate that is by the end of next week.
Power has been left on max with cut out at 25kph. My average speed is around 15-18 mph. It's just traffic slowing me down.

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I run a bbs01 on lipo's and the LCD always reads a full tank so best to wire in a watt meter to give a proper readings and some alarms in case a cell goes to low.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks Neath. The meter will drop the mini battery proved that but I am monitoring the voltages as well. My plan is to charge regularly. Just doing one run to check how far it can go. It looks like It will do silly mileage on full assist so I might leave it on that. Or I might drop the power and really hyper mile. Battery range of over 200 miles is possible.... Perhaps !

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
d8veh (remember him?...) injected the 5S 8000 mAh Turnigy nano-tech virus in my credit card waving arm and I can't get rid of it. I think there is a moderately expensive 16 A (2P 2S) Lipo battery in my future... OK so 16 Ah is only 12.8 when you factor in the Lipo 80% rule but it is still about 100€ cheaper than Li-Ion to buy