BBS01 - shorten wiring loom

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
Hello.

Just in the process of fitting a Bafang BBS01 to my bike. I have it all wired up but the wiring loom is very long I have had to snake it around the frame all the way up to the controller and brakes and it is still overly baggy for my liking.

Is there a way to shorten the loom?
If it is cut open is it a load of wires like a telephone junction box or just reasonable size cables, can it be simply cut and re-wired (i have used a soldering iron but I am not an expert).

Or are there shorter looms availalble for the BBS01?

cheers

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
somebody ought to make a shorter trunk cable for the BBS01. In the mean time, you have to solder and insulate each of the 10 or 11 wires in the cable. The wires have different colours, the problem is insulation. You need to protect all of the wires against rain. The alternative is to use a bag to hide the excess cable.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Sorry, edited my previous post after you posted again.

Are you sure it's an extension and not a replacement?
Yes,I know some folk who have bought them for recumbent use.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It's just that the picture in the link looks more like a replacement cable than extension o_O
Rule number three: on the internet never trust a picture.

You know rules number one and two :D

I think you are right

Connection cable for central engine Bafang BBS01 and BBS02 with various devices (cut-off, display, accelerator if required) of length 300 mm . Ideal for assembly of MTB FRONT / FULL SUSPENSION , if the cable channel is provided along the down tube. It guarantees a "wiring made" aesthetically more 'beautiful and clean. Quick connectors Waterproof.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I e-mailed Alcedo, to clarify details on the cable. I haven't done this to prove a point, sorry Kinninvie, but rather to try and find a positive solution for the OP.

This is their reply:

'' Hi David,
this cable replace the original one.
While the original measure 1000 mm (1 mt) this one measure only 300 mm and offer an exact fit on the vast majority of bicycles
The original needs to be rolled on the frame because it's to long!!!!!
Emanuele ''

Reactions: Kinninvie

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
For the OP's information, even though Alcedo's website is in Italian, you can e-mail them at business@alcedoitalia.it

Let them know what you want with delivery address, and they should PayPal invoice you. Their understanding of English is pretty good, and makes the process of buying much easier.

My stuff was delivered quickly and no import fees to add on either.

Shame they don't have an English language version of their website, coz they've got some good stuff on there.

Gurnard

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for all the replies. So it looks like the Alcedo is a possible solution. Especially if it fits in the down tube, which is not vacant as I have removed the front gear change for the BBS. So cool nice one it looks like the solution.

What a fantastic forum.

cheers

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
The 2 guys I spoke to on ES said they got them to extend their originals on recumbents so I assumed they were extensions.
Good to know the definitive answer.
Thanks.