BBS01

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi, I'm looking for a BBS01 36v 350w drive, does anyone know where i can buy one in this country. Thanks
Make sure you buy a battery with good cells capable of delivering a continous current well above the 18 amps bbs01 requirement. IE; panasonic GA ,samsung 35E or 30Q. The samsung 29E 10s6p battery i bought just not up to the job.cant deliver enough current if using full power a lot and high voltage sag halfway through the battery.

Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The samsung 29E 10s6p battery i bought just not up to the job.cant deliver enough current if using full power a lot and high voltage sag halfway through the battery.
+1 on this. Don't be fooled into buying a Samsung 29E pack, because you save a few quid on another battery with better cells. They will be good for the first 1000 miles, then deteriorate badly. False economy IMHO.

I thoroughly recommend Samsung 30Q cells or equivalent ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't be so hasty. There is no free lunch in Lithium ion cells. You trade between density, maximum discharge and longevity.
The 29E used to be the highest capacity 18650 cell from Samsung. That position has been replaced by the 35E for sometime.
The fair comparison is between Samsung 35E, Panasonic B and Samsung 30Q

The BBS01 is limited to 15A-18A max.
If you go for a medium size battery, 36V 14AH or 15AH, you do not have much voltage sag at 1C, lighter battery and a longer life with the '35E' cells.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
+1 on this. Don't be fooled into buying a Samsung 29E pack, because you save a few quid on another battery with better cells. They will be good for the first 1000 miles, then deteriorate badly. False economy IMHO.

I thoroughly recommend Samsung 30Q cells or equivalent ;)
Id appreciate your opinion fordulike as u also have a less than high opinion of the samsung 29E. If you were to choose between using one of these two battery packs which is the better.

6P samsung 29E cells 17.4ah 2500miles use.Currently only charges to 40.5volts. Or 5P LG mg1 cells 14.5ah.say 1000miles.Currently charges to 41.4volts. The latter is fitted to my wifes throttle only bike with soldered shunt pulling 19 amps.Tho obviously not all the time.

From what i can find the samsung cell is rated 8.25amp, with 2.75 max for continuous draw. The LG is rated 10amp, couldnt find a continuous rating,5amp? tho it may be no better than the 29E. The batt was described as 25amp continuous 50 max. The samsung wld appear to be capable of only 16amps continuous by comparison.

basically since building a bbshd i just use my 350w bbs01 so little ,i was thinking of selling it and wondered if i should swap the higher capacity 6P samsung to the missus bike. The bbs01 has two batteries in parallel thus putting less strain on the cells.So it doesnt matter which it has. Thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Id appreciate your opinion fordulike as u also have a less than high opinion of the samsung 29E. If you were to choose between using one of these two battery packs which is the better.

6P samsung 29E cells 17.4ah 2500miles use.Currently only charges to 40.5volts. Or 5P LG mg1 cells 14.5ah.say 1000miles.Currently charges to 41.4volts. The latter is fitted to my wifes throttle only bike with soldered shunt pulling 19 amps.Tho obviously not all the time.

From what i can find the samsung cell is rated 8.25amp, with 2.75 max for continuous draw. The LG is rated 10amp, couldnt find a continuous rating,5amp? tho it may be no better than the 29E. The batt was described as 25amp continuous 50 max. The samsung wld appear to be capable of only 16amps continuous by comparison.

basically since building a bbshd i just use my 350w bbs01 so little ,i was thinking of selling it and wondered if i should swap the higher capacity 6P samsung to the missus bike. The bbs01 has two batteries in parallel thus putting less strain on the cells.So it doesnt matter which it has. Thanks
I've had a look a the data sheets for both of those cells and there's not much in it performance wise. Even though the LG appears to be the slightly better cell, the pack is only 5P compared to the Samsung 6P pack. Therefore, I would say both packs would perform fairly similarly as they empty.

If I were the one making the decision, I would choose the Samsung pack. Only for the fact that it has higher capacity and on lower current drains, could mean I would travel further.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I've had a look a the data sheets for both of those cells and there's not much in it performance wise. Even though the LG appears to be the slightly better cell, the pack is only 5P compared to the Samsung 6P pack. Therefore, I would say both packs would perform fairly similarly as they empty.

If I were the one making the decision, I would choose the Samsung pack. Only for the fact that it has higher capacity and on lower current drains, could mean I would travel further.
thanks yeah it was the fact its a 6p and few ah more made me wonder if would be the better.

the lack luster performance of the bbs01 this past week was what made me again think maybe i should just stick with one powerful bike. It was strange tho, as it had seemed good when i set it to 100% keep current a while back.

well yesterday my 850c display came and when i tried using the bike i was shocked to see the AMPS reading as if the bike was running on 60% KC,which would explain the performance disappointment. i checked but it still says set at 100%. im going to have to investigate further.
once months ago i went to make a few tweaks and found the settings i had made totally changed ! i had written flash twice. dis connected,re connected and read settings to make sure my changes had installed.yet weeks later they had changed on their own. have you heard of programming not taking/reverting on the bbs01 before?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Its not just you my bbs 350watt lost its keep current down from 95% to 60% its like the bike is towing a land anchor set at 60% I thought I must of had a senior moment ;):oops: mind you the bafang 250watt rear hub with no throttle in the latest build is areal disappointment :mad:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Its not just you my bbs 350watt lost its keep current down from 95% to 60% its like the bike is towing a land anchor set at 60% I thought I must of had a senior moment ;):oops: mind you the bafang 250watt rear hub with no throttle in the latest build is areal disappointment :mad:
what it reverted itself? i did 42 mile test run today in case the new display was faulty. it behaved exactly like the KC was something like 60%.i rode on Pas 5 all the time and the only time i saw 18amps was a few seconds on accelerating from standstill or climbing inclines in higher gear. soon as u drop a cpl gears on hill the amps drop right down . pedal hard and the amps drop,hit an incline they pick up.hit a downslope drops to just 1 or 2 amps.

when i got the replacement controller last year it was pulling only 8amps on hills according to a watt meter.i bought a programming cable,set 100% KC and it was then pulling 18amps.its changed itself since then. i did notice a change in the power but at the time had fitted the watt meter eIsewhere and couldnt check.

It seems despite saying changes have been successfully flashed they are not.

Also more annoying the throttle refuses to give more than 8-10 amps!!! its gutless i can walk faster. my bbshd throttle by comparison hits the full 30amps in seconds ,why is this not giving the full 18amps id like to know.

anyone else found these issues with their bbs01 or advise much appreciated.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I suspect it is outside the firmware parameters had no problems with the bbs02 wish I had kept that one and not the 350watt.:rolleyes: just had a quick look on ebay all the bafang prices have gone up and very few in uk/eu stock I wonder if its bre--t or a new model or the vat man has caught up with the Chinese :mad:

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
I suspect it is outside the firmware parameters had no problems with the bbs02 wish I had kept that one and not the 350watt.:rolleyes: just had a quick look on ebay all the bafang prices have gone up and very few in uk/eu stock I wonder if its bre--t or a new model or the vat man has caught up with the Chinese :mad:
So you think the controllers (mine was the latest with the upgraded 3077 mosfets and extra light/gear sensor cables) have been hard coded to say 60% KC and cant be changed. i like to hear if others have found this.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Had not used the 350 for about 5 months and had removed supply [ battery] so I wonder if its a nvm chip or eprom /pic chip used to store and it reverts back to factory defaults

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Had not used the 350 for about 5 months and had removed supply [ battery] so I wonder if its a nvm chip or eprom /pic chip used to store and it reverts back to factory defaults
My ones had a batt attached tho not used for few weeks. When i read settings they are still as i left them. does your throttle deliver 18 amps? mine is gutless and only 10 amps max.ive tried current/speed. its set to level 9 pas and by displays command which is set to the max 40kpm

i also re flashed the settings before my ride.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Just checked the throttle on mine has less go I am wondering about setting to 100% current on the last 4 pas steps and just lower the speed on the levels and try another display

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
hi peter,ive done extensive testing this morning. some of the results fly in the face of my understanding of programming. KEEP CURRENT set to a lower % -the controller will lower the current up to that lower % in these circumstances. peddling at high cadence, lower load such as inclines in low gears/going down inclines/on level ,up to speed after acceleration from stop.other than that it should give around 100% on max PAS. on 100% KC it should give 100% current on max PAS all the time. throttle set to level 9 PAS and 40km/h or by display command,with display set to unrestricted speed. SHOULD give full power continuously. ie; 18amps on the 350w.

what i found. KC 60% 80% 100% .the max 18amps only achieved in 100% KC and only for short times such as accelerating from stop,climbing any incline in high gear,of course not advisable on steeper inclines.once gears lowered the current dropped.slight downhill could see the Amps fall to as little as 1-2 amps ,8-12 on flattish ground...ON 100% KC!! On 60% or 80% KC the same ,except now the max 18amps NEVER reached ever.in all circumstances they reached several amps lower than the same circumstances as when 100% KC.

throttle acted the same as the PAS only giving full 18amps power on accelerating/climbing in high gear etc.the AMPS dropping off after,again as little as 1-2amps on a slight decline. My bbshd throttle will stay at 30amps even if you were upside down! why is the bbs01 throttle not permanently giving 18amps is beyond me. its always been gutless.now i know why.

i can only conclude the bbs01b latest controller programming does not function as we imagined.Even at 100% KC it will save power when not needed.which isnt too bad i guess.BUT i dont like not being to overide lower KC economy when i want with a throttle, like it can with the bbshd. The perfect example being climbing a hill in low gear the PAS and THROTTLE give less than max power. and only MAX power climbing a hill if you select high gear and stress the motor/controller.

Note my warranty replaced latest version bbs01b controller last year came programmed to 20% KC. 8-9 amps was the most it put out at max PAS on an 18amp 350w.

can anyone PLEASE give an answer to at least how to get the throttle to deliver full power.much appreciated .

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
don't be so hasty. There is no free lunch in Lithium ion cells. You trade between density, maximum discharge and longevity.
The 29E used to be the highest capacity 18650 cell from Samsung. That position has been replaced by the 35E for sometime.
The fair comparison is between Samsung 35E, Panasonic B and Samsung 30Q

The BBS01 is limited to 15A-18A max.
If you go for a medium size battery, 36V 14AH or 15AH, you do not have much voltage sag at 1C, lighter battery and a longer life with the '35E' cells.
Hi, I am thinking of buying this battery ... 36v 21ah 08 bottle battery with Samsung inr18650-35e cells, and the bafang 350w bbs01 mid drive motor, in your opinion would this be a good choice.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I am glad you have done that it saves me tomorrows job:) I suspect that due to failures of controllers under warranty a change has been made to all bbs01:( think of the heat of 18 /20amps in the motor if it bogs down and blows the controller :mad: that's why the bbs hd is a total different beast larger and dissipates heat better

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Hi Jumpin I use Panasonic ga cells in my packs built by jimmy at insat I have several packs 17 ah and 21ah the main reason is uk based and good customer service fast turn round but it is a personal choice

The bbs01 is another personal choice if you want to stay legal it means 250watt I have fitted all the 36 volt versions 15 amp 250watt :):rolleyes: 18-20 amp 350watt :):D and the full fat 25 amp:D:D:D;) if you do not want legal the 500watt 25amp is worth the few pounds extra
it is a large purchase cash outlay so you want to get it right a cheap china :mad: battery is not worth it high current equals a short life what do you want outright speed road or off road

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi, I am thinking of buying this battery ... 36v 21ah 08 bottle battery with Samsung inr18650-35e cells, and the bafang 350w bbs01 mid drive motor, in your opinion would this be a good choice.
yes you need a big battery if you want to use lots of high power.the 35e has both high capacity and can deliver the current needed for an 18amp bbs01b. 10s6p too is better than 5p as each parrallel has less current draw. buy from a uk source is best.

On a different note look at my findings yesterday on trying to get the bbs01b to output full power.