BBS01B ETM

Schumaker

Just Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Hi all

i would like to write a review of the above motor as it seems no one has done one. the motor is the extra torque model from Brighton bikes. it has a 25a controller instead of the 15a one usually fitted on the BBS01b. current setup is:-
24a max current
70% Keep current
1-9 pedal assist with no speed restrictions in each mode with increments of 10% each mode up to 100%
36v 15a dolphin battery from Eclipses.

first of all i had to solder some XT60 connectors on as the original connectors did not match. took me around 2 hours to fully install the motor and battery. i have currently done just under 1000 miles so far with no issues so far. the motor is extremely quite still after 1000 miles, so i might delay re-greasing the gears for another 500 miles depending on if the motor get nosier. Darren did say he greases the gear before he sends out the motor.

Motor is fitted to a crossfire 2 hybrid bike. daily commute is 6 miles each way. i usually keep PAS on 4 on my commute sometimes going up to 5 when needed. battery last 30 miles before it is fully drained. average speed for the motor on this setting is 20-21 mph which is easily achieved, with a fully charged battery this give around 400w output power on the meter reading. top speed on setting 9 i have achieved 30mph with around 750w reading from the meter, i did see 840w at one point. i think my gearing restricts me to 30mph, which is by far enough for a bike.

Having looked into which bafang kits i should buy for a long time i settled for the legal version with 25a controller fitted., going on what i have experienced this street legal motor is by far enough for what many would need. hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying an ebike kit

Last edited:

chonka

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2018
Hi all

i would like to write a review of the above motor as it seems no one has done one. the motor is the extra torque model from Brighton bikes. it has a 25a controller instead of the 15a one usually fitted on the BBS01b. current setup is:-
24a max current
70% Keep current
1-9 pedal assist with no speed restrictions in each mode with increments of 10% each mode up to 100%
36v 15a dolphin battery from Eclipses.

first of all i had to solder some XT60 connectors on as the original connectors did not match. took me around 2 hours to fully install the motor and battery. i have currently done just under 1000 miles so far with no issues so far. the motor is extremely quite still after 1000 miles, so i might delay re-greasing the gears for another 500 miles depending on if the motor get nosier. Darren did say he greases the gear before he sends out the motor.

Motor is fitted to a crossfire 2 hybrid bike. daily commute is 6 miles each way. i usually keep PAS on 4 on my commute sometimes going up to 5 when needed. battery last 30 miles before it is fully drained. average speed for the motor on this setting is 20-21 mph which is easily achieved, with a fully charged battery this give around 400w output power on the meter reading. top speed on setting 9 i have achieved 30mph with around 750w reading from the meter, i did see 840w at one point. i think my gearing restricts me to 30mph, which is by far enough for a bike.

Having looked into which bafang kits i should buy for a long time i settled for the legal version with 25a controller fitted., going on what i have experienced this street legal motor is by far enough for what many would need. hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying an ebike kit
Hi,
I have been looking into buying a bafang mid drive for quite a while, trying to determine which combination of battery voltage and motor wattage and from which vendor. I have changed my mind 100's of times with every article and review i read. My latest choice is between a 500w bbs02 from em3ev or a 250 w bbs01 ETM from brightonebikes.
At the moment i have a 250w rear hub ebike, but due to deteriorating health i am struggling on hills so i need much more hill assistance. How does your bbs01etm perform on hills? You dont mention this in your review.
Thankyou
John.

Schumaker

Just Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Hi John, the 250w etm is well worth the money. The torque is fantastic and cruises up hills very well. I was in the same dilemma as you are, took months to decide which motor to get, there are so many choices! I do not regret one bit getting the motor, exceeded all expectations. I would say the are possibly the fastest legal road kit you can buy. Going to work today I was pas 4 with no peddling using throttle and doing 20mph consistently putting out 400-450w

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Legally marked maybe but not in use with a throttle and adjustable speed set up on lcd, so just be careful where you ride and who may want to have a word with you if seen.

chonka

Sep 22, 2018
Hi John, the 250w etm is well worth the money. The torque is fantastic and cruises up hills very well. I was in the same dilemma as you are, took months to decide which motor to get, there are so many choices! I do not regret one bit getting the motor, exceeded all expectations. I would say the are possibly the fastest legal road kit you can buy. Going to work today I was pas 4 with no peddling using throttle and doing 20mph consistently putting out 400-450w
Thanks schumaker
After months of deliberation and research and emailing anyone who has any connection to bafang mid drives you have finally helped me in my decision, i will order the ETM from Darren ( He has been most helpful as have EM3EV).I just need a decent second hand bike to fit it to. Can i ask why you chose eclipse for your battery and didnt buy with your motor.?Im a bit wary of Eclipse as they do not have a phone contact and take a long time to answer any emails, althought i have read they are reliable and have good prices.
Thanks once again.
John.

Schumaker

Just Joined
Sep 24, 2018
I did not get the battery from Darren as he did not have any left. As far as eclipse I was also wary but it arrives in a few days time after ordering, only problem was the connectors were different so I to order connectors off the internet.

chonka

Sep 22, 2018
I did not get the battery from Darren as he did not have any left. As far as eclipse I was also wary but it arrives in a few days time after ordering, only problem was the connectors were different so I to order connectors off the internet.
Finally, after 4months of research and delibrtation i have completed my project and very pleased with the outcome. It is a major improvement on my current oxygen emate city. I have put the bbs01etm with 17.5ah battery on a carrera vengeance and have achieved my aim of greater hill climbing ability to help with health issues.20190217_125745.jpg20190217_125745.jpg

Reactions: tommie and lyme

Demion

Just Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Is anyone at all selling bafang mid drive (any model) for 48v battery and marked (engraved) as 250W for EU?
Brighton ebikes BBS01B ETM seems interesting, but will only work with 36v, as I understand. (I already have 48v battery).
Thanks in advance.