BBS01B ETM

Schumaker

Just Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Hi all

i would like to write a review of the above motor as it seems no one has done one. the motor is the extra torque model from Brighton bikes. it has a 25a controller instead of the 15a one usually fitted on the BBS01b. current setup is:-
24a max current
70% Keep current
1-9 pedal assist with no speed restrictions in each mode with increments of 10% each mode up to 100%
36v 15a dolphin battery from Eclipses.

first of all i had to solder some XT60 connectors on as the original connectors did not match. took me around 2 hours to fully install the motor and battery. i have currently done just under 1000 miles so far with no issues so far. the motor is extremely quite still after 1000 miles, so i might delay re-greasing the gears for another 500 miles depending on if the motor get nosier. Darren did say he greases the gear before he sends out the motor.

Motor is fitted to a crossfire 2 hybrid bike. daily commute is 6 miles each way. i usually keep PAS on 4 on my commute sometimes going up to 5 when needed. battery last 30 miles before it is fully drained. average speed for the motor on this setting is 20-21 mph which is easily achieved, using around 400w on the meter. top speed on setting 9 i have achieved 30mph, with 750-800w output. i think my gearing restricts me to 30mph, which is by far enough for a bike.

Having looked into which bafang kits i should buy for a long time i settled for the legal version with 25a controller fitted., going on what i have experienced this street legal motor is by far enough for what many would need. hope this helps anyone who is thinking of buying an ebike kit

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
That must be a healthy power increase running a 25 amp controller. Not heard of anyone doing that before. I think it is prob. fitted with the controller from the BBS02 500w. I would think a bit of care is needed running that power through a fairly small motor with careful gear and power level selection.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Why does my post make you sad chonka, or is it me?:DI'm not being critical, I'd be really interested in how Darren has developed this motor, as it is not a Bafang product.

chonka

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2018
Why does my post make you sad chonka, or is it me?:DI'm not being critical, I'd be really interested in how Darren has developed this motor, as it is not a Bafang product.
Sorry wheeliepete, i didnt realise id pressed the sad face.:D

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 25amp controller is the same as fitted to the off the shelf 36v bbs02b 500 watt version so its just a label change;) like the em3 version from the states 250 to 500watt in one package pulls about 850 watts peak on a fresh battery :) which is a great increase over the 15amp standard but requires a very good cell if you run the keep current above 95% have had both versions could not tell the difference

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think Bafang changed the winding on the BBS02 so that it can handle more current. The original BBS01 had two current settings: 15 Amp and 18 Amp, are you sure the wire is thick enough to handle 25 Amps? You are increasing the current by 39%, where is the extra heat going to go if you stall the motor? Stay in the correct gear would be my advice...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
where is the extra heat going to go if you stall the motor?
that's my misgiving about CD motors, the motors are much more willing (compared to geared hubs) and give little sign of struggling on low cadence while the heat builds up inside until it cooks the controller. We replace 3 times more BBS02 controllers than BBS01 controllers. My guess is people tend to be much lazier with BBS02 than with BBS01, their cadence drops too low for the motor.

• Informative
Reactions: anotherkiwi

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 25amp seems to run cooler to the touch than the 15amp version, I agree you must never let it labour you have to get the gearing right, it has at a sweet spot with a 42 tooth front and an alfine 8 at the rear [or the standard on the front and two more teeth on the rear] 24 amps set as max current and keep set at 95%
once it gets to that spot the motor load [audible note] changes and it drops back on the power meter and before the speed limiter cuts in :) use the pas not the throttle :( always pedal
I treat it like an old car with a 4 speed gear box rev the engine hard and change gear more and let it rev more up hill and never use the overdrive

Reactions: chonka and Woosh

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I have just sold my bike with the em3, the motor is great but with high current the battery takes some stick had 21ah with ga cells which copes ok but a no name cell would fry I think 48 v is the way to go now

Chamzamzoo

Feb 12, 2016
That's a big battery! Did you feel it was being taxed too much by the motor?

GA cells? Sorry not up on the lingo.

Chamzamzoo

Feb 12, 2016
when you say em3, you mean the 25a option from em3ev I think, is that the same as the one being reviewed?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The battery is the most important part of the set up mine came from jimmy at insat it cost £450.00 the cells are Sanyo ga [Panasonic] you will not get a cheap battery to do any sort of long range or last very long [ think turbo car cheap petrol ] you need a quality cell
A standard 250watt is only set to 15 amps so a low ah battery will be ok 15.ah would do 30 odd miles
yes the em3ev is the equivalent to the 25 amp version but so is the 500watt 36 volt motor that is also 25 amps I have had both versions I could no tell the two apart once set up with the laptop [the 500watt was cheaper ]