BBS02 Advice

cyclecyclecycle

Just Joined
Jan 17, 2019
Hello All
I'm pretty keen to get a BBS02B 48v 750W
After a bit of looking around online I reckon the extra power and the fact that it isn't much more expensive than a 36V 500W seems to make sense.
It looks like I should be looking out for a battery with Samsung 30Q cells than 29e's - any thoughts here would be helpful though

I've seen this setup at Eclipse bikes and at a good price but they haven't responded to my emails? are they reliable to order from? any alternative shops that would be recommended?

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of range on the flat on i'm likely to get with a 12Ah battery?
Does anyone know if when buying a battery from Eclipse it comes with a charger and if not where i could get a good one? Recommendations welcome for a chargers anyway as ideally i'd have 2 chargers.

The bike it's going on is a mountain bike with hydraulic disks, Was thinking of using thumb throttle mostly rather than pedal assist or is that in reality an unlikely way i'll end up using it?
and I suppose i'll need the hydraulic brake adapters to cut the power too

I guess lastly is do people reckon that the Bafang system is a good one to get, seems to be well reviewed and i've ridden someone elses which is what has started me wanting one but am not aware of the market enough to know if there's others I should be considering.

Looking forward to getting an eBike and any guidance advice and general thoughts much appreciated

lofty

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All batteries supplied with 2a charger.
The 12ah battery has 576wh so range will vary from 25 to 45 miles, range is all dependant on so many factors no two rides will be the same. Wind, weight, terrain, ground conditions & PAS level are the five main ones to affect range also ambient temps is another that can affect range.

cyclecyclecycle

Just Joined
Jan 17, 2019
<--- I have that particular conversion myself, only thing i`d say is to purchase the highest aH battery you can afford and buy it locally, not from abroad.
Why do you suggest getting the highest aH possible, does that help improve the life I would expect to get from the battery, kind of proofing against the degrading capacity over time?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Have that particular conversion too from Eclipse, with the Samsung 30Q 12Ah battery. Yeah, they can be a bit slow at responding to e-mails, but I have bought a few expensive items from them and they've been spot on with delivery.

I get about 15 miles out of the battery before it suffers from voltage sag. Mine is programmed for max power though, so you could buy a programming cable at a later stage and program it exactly how you like it. These kits are very easy to reprogram BTW ;)

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Why do you suggest getting the highest aH possible, does that help improve the life I would expect to get from the battery, kind of proofing against the degrading capacity over time?
Simply range, you will go further the more aH a battery possesses - eg a 17.5 aH will take you further than say a 10aH battery, just make sure they have quality cells not some cheap chinese stuff.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I own a 750W BBS02 and power it with a 48V 12AH 30Q based battery. Range mainly depends on how fast you go and whether the motor assists you or vice versa.

As mentioned earlier, you have around 500 watt-hrs, and many people burn between 10 and 20 wh/mile.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hello All
I'm pretty keen to get a BBS02B 48v 750W
After a bit of looking around online I reckon the extra power and the fact that it isn't much more expensive than a 36V 500W seems to make sense.
It looks like I should be looking out for a battery with Samsung 30Q cells than 29e's - any thoughts here would be helpful though

I've seen this setup at Eclipse bikes and at a good price but they haven't responded to my emails? are they reliable to order from? any alternative shops that would be recommended?

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of range on the flat on i'm likely to get with a 12Ah battery?
Does anyone know if when buying a battery from Eclipse it comes with a charger and if not where i could get a good one? Recommendations welcome for a chargers anyway as ideally i'd have 2 chargers.

The bike it's going on is a mountain bike with hydraulic disks, Was thinking of using thumb throttle mostly rather than pedal assist or is that in reality an unlikely way i'll end up using it?
and I suppose i'll need the hydraulic brake adapters to cut the power too

I guess lastly is do people reckon that the Bafang system is a good one to get, seems to be well reviewed and i've ridden someone elses which is what has started me wanting one but am not aware of the market enough to know if there's others I should be considering.

Looking forward to getting an eBike and any guidance advice and general thoughts much appreciated

lofty
id be very carefull of the ranges most people claim.they may be true enough but are usually for lower end PAS level.i think most ebikers are interested in getting good range and like to put in personal effort.so do i ,but i like to enjoy the buzz of full power too.once tasted its hard not to for periods of your ride.you will then see a huge drop in range.my 1000w bbshd with 52v 15ah 30q cells will manage 20 miles if mainly on 18 amps, 30 for hills.ive had 26/27miles but using plenty of 13amp. your 750w at full power 25amps and 48v 12ah 30q will do less. u can use the popular panasonic GA cells for a 25amp draw in a 5p batt.higher capacity for same money.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
20 miles?? That`s seriously low??

After 20 miles my bbshd might be into the second bar
If it really is acting at 18 amps it would last around 50 minutes, and have been consuming 936 watts. I don't know about the terrain and it sounds as if it might be quite reckless, but that could give about 20 miles. I don't think it likely that many of us will get through battery like that though.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
If it really is acting at 18 amps it would last around 50 minutes, and have been consuming 936 watts. I don't know about the terrain and it sounds as if it might be quite reckless, but that could give about 20 miles. I don't think it likely that many of us will get through battery like that though.
It is very hilly here in west cornwall. im always hitting the throttle .its a marin mtb not a road bike. im often around 27-30+mph on the flat.(with the amps up)
pas 3 at 13amps & 52v still wipes the floor with my bbs01 350w tho. but i can get 27 miles with moderate throttle use.
i never found the bbs01 (on a giant mtb) ,derestricted speed,with 17.5ah batt. would deliever more than 22-27 miles either.mostly at high pas.
Far from the 60+ miles Halfords say their 10ah bikes can go eh!

Reactions: Fordulike