BBS02 bottom bracket size?

Jsper

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2016
HI all, I would like to Install a BBS02 kit to my Trek Superfly AL but it seems that it has a unusually sized Bottom bracket of 90mm, will this kit still fit or will it need to be modified?

Also a bit unsure If a battery would fit in this frame as it looks a bit tight?

Thanks

John

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
As far as I know it's just about doable on a 73mm bb (but without using the extra lockring ) so i'd be very suprised if anyone's fitted one to an unsual and considerably wider shell as per trek provide.( thought they were 90.5 road and 95.5 mtn ?)
perhaps someone else can enlighten

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
Oh yes ..yours also has press fit bearings direct into the frame and asfaik the bafang works through it's own square taper bb.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
You would need a 100mm BBS motor and shim it to get the best chain line.
You would also need to make sure the bb is at least the same inside diameter as a standard one.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
You would need a 100mm BBS motor and shim it to get the best chain line.
You would also need to make sure the bb is at least the same inside diameter as a standard one.
I wasn't aware of the 100mm BBS option. Although I don't have any experience of the motor from what I understand/have read does it not require an internally threaded shell to locate the bb? I believe the OP's bb shell has press fit bearings rather than a conventional set up? Anyone in the know please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As long as the bb shell is greater then 34mm the bbs just slides in and as mentioned is retained by clamp bracket and m33 rings, the clamp has a 4 small keys that will grip dig in to the bb soft shell. Some shells may need a little internal filing if a bit of weld is proud.
The 100mm bbs are to accommodate larger shells up to 100mm such as fat bikes.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
As long as the bb shell is greater then 34mm the bbs just slides in and as mentioned is retained by clamp bracket and m33 rings, the clamp has a 4 small keys that will grip dig in to the bb soft shell. Some shells may need a little internal filing if a bit of weld is proud.
The 100mm bbs are to accommodate larger shells up to 100mm such as fat bikes.
The OPs bb is 90mm wide so a 100mm kit will be needed.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Decent looking bike that for a BBS HD conversion, 100mm version should fit ok.
The frame should take a `watter bottle` battery as well, wouldn`t go below 13aH tho`. Or a frame bag with a beefy 25aH or similar.

And hydraulic brakes after that.