BBS02 PressFit 30 PF30

Adam648

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2018
Hi,

I’ve purchased a boardman 29er Pro 2016 to convert to an e-bike.

I thought the only thing I had to worry about was bottom bracket size (which I measured before purchasing) but clearly I was wrong!

The frame uses PF30 BB so I’ll need an adapter to convert it to BSA.

From what I’ve read; the adapter will not stop the motor from spinning round and the motor some how needs to be fixed to the frame to stop it spinning.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to get an adapter and if possible bracket to stop the motor spinning?

Any other comments on my first build?
BBS02 750w with 850c and a 14.5ah Samsung 48v 29E dolphin battery

Thanks!

Adam648

Jul 26, 2018
Many thanks for the feedback - didn't realise that about the Samsung cells. I thought I was doing the right thing going branded...

Ordered the stabilizer bar! Exactly what I was looking for.. I brought some sheet metal home from work but there's no way I'd be able to make something as nice as that haha.

Battery arrived today; so not long now until I can start building :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You did the right thing going with Samsung cells, top quality, but 29E have a low discharge ability. If you run your motor at full throttle or Level 9 PAS, 25 amps, you are very close to the cells max. discharge level. As long as you respect this, your battery should not suffer too badly. The BBS02 is a very capable motor with loads of torque and will run well at 18 amps, which will make your battery happier.:) As Fordulike said, put a programming cable on your shopping list, every BBS owner should have one. Good luck and keep us posted on your build.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Adam648, you did you right thing and went with a branded quality cell. Unfortunately, the Samsung 29E, as wheeliepete quite rightly mentions, is not really suited for higher discharge rates. My previous pack was 29E and it lasted about 2 years before becoming unusable. That was with the BBS02 maxed out at 25A.

Your saving grace may be that your pack is 5 parallel, whereas mine was only 4P.

The Samsung 29E cell is still only happy providing 2.75 amps continuous per cell though. So theoretically, to get longevity out of the cell, your pack should be run at no more than 13.75 amps continuous. Of course, running a BBS02 at 13-14 amps max will blunt the performance, so it's best to compromise. I personally would drop the controller max amps down to no more than 20A.

For future reference, go for a pack which uses Samsung 30Q cells or equivalent. Although initially a little pricier, in the long run it'll last much longer and performance won't drop so sharply with use and age.

Last edited:

Adam648

Jul 26, 2018
Again big thanks both for the feedback - if I can get two years out of this battery I will be happy; only cost £220 which was cheaper than most none branded batteries on Ebay.

Started the build today;
Old crank out
PF30 out
Thought I'd purchased the right SRAM PF30 --> BSA adapter but it appears I didn't
So need to order another adapter - gonna go for the FSA PF30 to BSA as this seems to get good reviews

Did manage to get the motor running though as a test; 44T is too much though for my 29er - the chain is far too right on the highest cog.

I was going to purchase a 36T Lekkie but heard bad reviews about chain lines? Anyone have any experience with this?

Roland Pike

Just Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Hi Adam,

I was just wondering how your conversion went. I am looking to convert my Boardman mountain bike, and it has a 73mm PF30 bottom bracket, so I am interested to know why the first SRAM adapter didn’t work, and whether FSA adapter ended up working.

Can you explain the bit about the motor spinning in the bottom bracket? Did you need to install the Luna stabiliser bar to stop this from happening, or were you able to use the triangle fixing plate that comes with the Bafang kit?

Adam648

Jul 26, 2018
Hey!

The SRAM adapter didn’t work as that actually converts it to 24mm (iirc) suitable for the SRAM Hallowtech bottom brackets.

The FSA one did work - it did take some fitting (used a thick metal bar, nuts / washers and a plate to press into the frame) but once it was fitted it was the correct diameter for the frame.

I couldn’t use the mounting plate that came with the kit... it wouldn’t stop the motor from spinning because there is nothing for it to ‘bite’ onto. I used the California ebike stabiliser bar and this worked a treat. Required some bending and longer bolts / washers to fit to the motor but I basically have the bar attached to the motor then a hose clip attaching the bar to the frame of the bike.

What I mean by the spinning is the motor actually needs to be attached to the frame; so when the motor turns due to the amount of torque it moves backwards without the stabiliser bar. So when you pedal the motor is all over the place.

If you need a FSA adapter send me a message as I have a spare. Comes with Loctite as well. What I will say is.. the FSA adapter is a permanent fix.. it would be very difficult to take out.

Good luck with the build!

Roland Pike

Just Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Great info, and thanks for the offer of the FSA adapter. As my bike came with a service package, I was going to buy an adapter from Halfords, as they will then extract the existing BB and install the adapter (I’m hoping). That should save me buying the tools and bodging it up if I try to do it myself!

Did you buy your kit in the UK? Looks like a nice chain ring – which one did you go for, and how is the chain alignment? (I apologise for pumping you for info!)

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I know this thread is resurrected from 2018 but I got the pf30 to BSA adapter recommended here

"...You must get these type of adaptors and ignore all other types that may pop up on your google searches. The press in adaptors shown above are the only adaptors you should be getting your hands on and ignore all others because they will not work and waste your time and money. You need this type of adaptor because it mimics a bare english threaded shell that the motor easily mounts into.."

Reactions: Bjl