BBS02 to Shark Battery Connector

eyaldanli97

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Hi all,

I am new to building ebikes and am building up a bafang bike on an old mountain bike with an xtracycle extension. I need guidance on the best way to connect my 750W BBS02 motor to the battery I bought separately.

The battery is a Unit Pack Power 48V 17.5Ah shark battery that comes with 40A anderson connectors - pictured below.

The BBS02 comes with the following wire connectors:

The simplest option seems to be to solder the wires from the Anderson connectors to the BBS02 connectors, and fitting a shrink sleeve over them.
Though after doing some research, there seem to be many better options for durability and water resistance such as XT90s connectors.

What is the best way to fit these wires together?

Thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
XT60/90 aren't water proof.
Solder direct heat shrink then cover with amalgamating tape.
If you want a connector in case of motor removal later cut the bullets off and solder to the Anderson tails, connect them up and again use Amalgamating tape which you can easily cut off if need be later.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Cut the connectors off, solder the wires directly and heatshrink them. You'll probably never have to disconnect them, but if you ever do, it's very quick to unsolder them. When soldered, you never have to worry about waterproofness, corrosion or any other connector problems, plus the joint has less resistance than a connector. Win, win, win.

eyaldanli97

Just Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks for the advice! I am going to remove the connectors and add in an XT90s connector for easy future removal of the battery.

Will be a little extra work but seems worth it.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the advice! I am going to remove the connectors and add in an XT90s connector for easy future removal of the battery.

Will be a little extra work but seems worth it.
I use xt60 as I have multiple 36v batteries ra going from 3ah to 21ah. By using xt60 they are easily swappable on my bike (and indeed across both my current bikes). This is the only reason not to solder direct as VFR suggests

Nealh is quite right xt60 are not waterproof per se. But they are damn close in practice . Solder them on, heatshrink wiring propley and then add a bit of Sugru to finish and waterproof. I commute year round for over 10 years, pre covid anyways.

Water ingress has caused me issues but never at the point of xt60 connection

Reactions: eyaldanli97

Advertisers