BBS02 & Vitus Nucleus - won't fit in bracket

Luke A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 10, 2016
U.K.
Hi everyone,

First post and looking for some help as BBS02 won't fit my Vitus Nucleus as there are some welded bolt holes protruding from the bracket (see pic).

I'm guess I could cut these off but don't want to render bike useless if ever move BBS02 to another bike.

Anyone encountered a similar issue and have any suggestions?

Many thanks if so!

Luke

Attachments

If it's going in and gonna fit, they godda go.
However, before you get happy with the angle grinder, check that rear stay doesn't protrude too far out so as to stop the motor sliding all the way in. From the pic it looks like that might be close? (Wide rear stays designed for fatter rear tyres sometimes won't allow good fitting)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Luke A

Sep 10, 2016
U.K.
Many thanks. Thought as much.

Motor slides all the way in flush from the other side and bike looks symmetrical so reckon should be ok with stays unless I'm missing something???

Also any idea if I'll still be able to fit a normal hub if do cut these bolt holes out and want to sell this bike as a non ebike one day?

Thanks again for replying

The absence of mount points for bash guard / chain guide won't stop a standard bb being fitted afterwards. But if it is something a prospective buyer's looking for it could be a deal breaker I guess.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The absence of mount points for bash guard / chain guide won't stop a standard bb being fitted afterwards. But if it is something a prospective buyer's looking for it could be a deal breaker I guess.

Seems to me the lugs are mounting points for the Race Face single front ring, although it's not a system I'm familiar with.

The OP says the bike is a Vitus Nucleus, but that's a hardtail, but the bike looks to be a full-sus.

It looks something like the Vitus bike in this link.

If you have a play with the 360 degree pic and zoom, you can see ring assembly is bolted to the lugs.

This makes me wonder if, for some reason, it may not be possible to fit an ordinary front ring in the absence of the lugs.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-escarpe-vrx-suspension-bike-2016/rp-prod135374

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Also any idea if I'll still be able to fit a normal hub if do cut these bolt holes out and want to sell this bike as a non ebike one day?
You'll not do that for three reasons:
  1. The BBS02 is frickin awesome
  2. The BBS02 is frickin awesome
  3. The BBS02 is frickin awesome

Reactions: brightonebikes
It won't be useless by any means. Just devoid of the feature to fit bash guard chain guide in that fashion. There are other ways to fit.
Not familiar with that particular model. If not already purchased, it may an idea to search further for something similar or even better without the immediate modifications required here i.e. bog standard 68mm bb with no fancy add-ons?
Also the brakes on this model don't look great for mounting brake sensor cut out switches if they were planned to be used.

Luke A

Sep 10, 2016
U.K.
Ok thanks.

Have it already.

When you say brakes are 'not great' for sensors will they still work?

Thanks again

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Be aware that a loose BBS or other mid drive will destroy the thread that you may wish to later screw a normal bottom bracket back into. You may be lucky and be able to cut a thread back into the BB shell, or not.

Be aware that a loose BBS or other mid drive will destroy the thread that you may wish to later screw a normal bottom bracket back into. You may be lucky and be able to cut a thread back into the BB shell, or not.
There is always a frame saver BB if that were to be the case :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yeah but it isn't standard, I was talking about the stock BB you unscrewed in the first place. I expressed myself badly, sorry.

Yeah but it isn't standard, I was talking about the stock BB you unscrewed in the first place. I expressed myself badly, sorry.
Very true. It would command a lower second value of the thread was mushed beyond re tap.