BBSHD brake cut-off power return delay?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Could someone with a BBSHD, please post if there is a delay to the motor powering up again, after activating a brake cut-off switch.

If possible, a comparison to the BBS02 would be nice.

D

Deleted member 4366

I built a bike with a BBSHD. It had the separate connector for the gear sensor, but I'm pretty sure that it's spliced to the brake wire because you can connect it to a brake connector if you want. It was pretty much instant on and off, which is what you need for gear-changing.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I built a bike with a BBSHD. It had the separate connector for the gear sensor, but I'm pretty sure that it's spliced to the brake wire because you can connect it to a brake connector if you want. It was pretty much instant on and off, which is what you need for gear-changing.
Lovely, sounds like Bafang sorted out the ghastly BBS02 delay then. Thanks.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My BBSHD has a button switch and the delay is the same as on my BBS02.
I prefer to stop pedalling for an instant when changing up gears .
Changing to a lower gear can be done under full power.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
My BBSHD has a button switch and the delay is the same as on my BBS02.
I prefer to stop pedalling for an instant when changing up gears .
Changing to a lower gear can be done under full power.
I'm kinda guessing that the BBSHD has the usual two connectors for the brake cut-offs, which have the same delay as a BBS02. But also the gear sensor connector, which has an instant cut-off and restart, but can use one brake cut-off instead of a gear sensor?

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I swapped my motor over but just used the old wiring so its connected to a brake sensor.
Might try it on the gear sensor plug but it won't be till the new year now as got the builders in at home.

I swapped my motor over but just used the old wiring so its connected to a brake sensor.
Might try it on the gear sensor plug but it won't be till the new year now as got the builders in at home.
Speaking with the guys at gearsensor.com in Czech Republic recently, it appears they have brought out a new version of the product.
Apparently the new version is compatible with both hub and derailleur gears and has a shorter cut out time to the last model. I am told this new model has a shorter time delay before power is resumed compared to that of a brake cut off switch.
I received a few samples last week but yet to test for comparison. Will update in the not too distant future once I've had a chance to do so.

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

D

Deleted member 4366

The way I see it is that the actual switching of the brake switch is instant, so I can't see how the gear switch could be any faster? It's the controller that causes the delay, and if the same connector (same input channel to controller) is used for the gear and brake switches, I can't see how the controller would know to reduce the delay. It only sees 0v or 5v and has no idea what's connected. I can understand that the gear sensor's off time could be reduced, not that it was long, anyway. Let us know what your findings.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My HWBS and controller provide instant on/off (i.e. no human detectable delay), the switch acts very much like a ... switch!

Absolutely. Would the speed of the actual stop will be down to 'time of stop' and 'stop decay' settings within the controller, so same whether it's a brake cut out or a gear sensor that's making the request? As I understand it (tests to confirm imminent) it is the time delay before the motor cuts back in that has somehow been shortened with the new 2017 gear sensors.
So is it possible that the desired effect could be achieved by adjusting the above controller settings?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Absolutely. Would the speed of the actual stop will be down to 'time of stop' and 'stop decay' settings within the controller, so same whether it's a brake cut out or a gear sensor that's making the request? As I understand it (tests to confirm imminent) it is the time delay before the motor cuts back in that has somehow been shortened with the new 2017 gear sensors.
So is it possible that the desired effect could be achieved by adjusting the above controller settings?
D8ve is totally right. I've seen many threads over on Endless Sphere, where owners have tried to shorten the 'power on' delay, but with no success.

Admittedly it's the BBS01 and BBS02 series that the threads are on about.

I do think that the extra lead that the current BBSHD's have, tap into a part of the controller that allows instant on/off though.

Reactions: brightonebikes
D8ve is totally right. I've seen many threads over on Endless Sphere, where owners have tried to shorten the 'power on' delay, but with no success.

I do think that the extra lead that the current BBSHD's have, tap into a part of the controller that allows instant on/off though.
Wouldn't surprise me, Mr D8ve sure knows his stuff!
Have any of you heard of the YOCH BBS style (copy) motors?
I have a 48V 1000W crank drive system arriving from them soon and wondering whether that may have a separate gear sensor input, and what they are like in general?
Have any of you seen one before?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me, Mr D8ve sure knows his stuff!
Have any of you heard of the YOCH BBS style (copy) motors?
I have a 48V 1000W crank drive system arriving from them soon and wondering whether that may have a separate gear sensor input, and what they are like in general?
Have any of you seen one before?

Nope sorry, but it will be interesting to hear your experience with it, once you've got it up and running.

Nope sorry, but it will be interesting to hear your experience with it, once you've got it up and running.
Of course, that's a given. :)
This is it. http://www.jhyoch.com/MD-M12-1000W-mid-drive-motor-kits-pd900594.html
Apparently it's identical in every way to the BBSHD, apart from casing markings etc. obvs.
The display looks different, but apparently they are plug and play compatible with all Bafang BBSxx kit.
I have 250W & 1000W versions on the way. Hopefully in time for Christmas :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Of course, that's a given. :)
This is it. http://www.jhyoch.com/MD-M12-1000W-mid-drive-motor-kits-pd900594.html
Apparently it's identical in every way to the BBSHD, apart from casing markings etc. obvs.
The display looks different, but apparently they are plug and play compatible with all Bafang BBSxx kit.
I have 250W & 1000W versions on the way. Hopefully in time for Christmas :)

You just gotta love China's slack copyright laws :D

Reactions: brightonebikes
You just gotta love China's slack copyright laws :D
Haha, yes indeed!
I heard that the design engineer involved with the bbsxx motors at Bafang now works at Yoch. Really don't know how much truth there is in it?
They do look ridiculously alike! Again it's 'apparently', but all internal components are identical and interchangeable with Bafang bbs parts. Which is nice :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Ultimately, it depends on how the boss off each company deals with quality. Good quality doesn't come from just good intention, and it's rarely an accident. It comes as a result of good planning and strategy along with knowledge about the manufacturing processes. Parts might look the same, but that's not enough. Only a visit to the factories or thorough testing will show the differences.

Ultimately, it depends on how the boss off each company deals with quality. Good quality doesn't come from just good intention, and it's rarely an accident. It comes as a result of good planning and strategy along with knowledge about the manufacturing processes. Parts might look the same, but that's not enough. Only a visit to the factories or thorough testing will show the differences.
Very true. Quality control and TQM are so important. Knowledge of manufacturing processes and being abreast of new materials/technologies as they become available.
It could all be poppycock and simply a terribly cheap rip off imitation of the BBS range that's not fit for purpose [emoji51]