BBSHD PAS problem

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
Good evening all, I've had my BBSHD on my fatty trail for about 5 months being powered by a 48v 11.6Ah battery pack, and over the last week I've been having a PAS issue, the issue being, it can all of a sudden just stop working. I can see it happen mainly when I come to a stop at say a junction, or even stop pedaling whilst going down a hill, sometimes I can turn the assist off, push the throttle to full slow down and then turn the PAS setting back up, but more than 90% of the time I have to get of the bike, turn off the battery, and disconnect it, as well as all the other cables on the harness including the speed sensor, and after reconnecting everything it can be hit and miss that it will last until the next time I come to a stop, or stop pedaling, or it can even get me to where I need to go.
On my last ride out, I noticed that the black and red Anderson connector was looking a bit worse for wear, and a bit melted, but I had no choice to to use it anyway as I needed to get to work, but when the PAS had its first failure, I went through the steps as mentioned, but the power wouldn't come on, so I took a closer look at the terminals, and they looked a bit more melted than before, but after a quick fiddle I managed to restore power and get to work. So my question is has anyone got any idea of what could be wrong with the PAS, and also could the dodgy connectors be causing the PAS to fail ? I've got a new set of connectors coming, I've gone for XT90's, as far as the bike, I'm using a 42T Race Face chainring with the adapter from Luna, and I've programmed the controller with carls special sauce settings from the ElectricBike-Blog.com, and I've been running those setting since the second week of using the motor, the only other thing, that I've changed or added is a gear shifting sensor, other than that it's a sthe kit comes. Thank you guys and I hope someone can help.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Is there not something in Karls blog that says his special sauce settings kill the PAS on the HD and "B" motors and you have to raise one of the values to make it work (I seem to remember reading something on there about his settings not working on the newer motors)?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Try running it without the brake cut-offs, throttle and gear sensor connected. If it works fine with that lot disconnected, then connect them one at a time, testing each one, to find out which one kills your power.

Anderson connectors are a nightmare to get soldered and connected correctly. Any misalignment causes high resistance in the terminal, with corresponding melt down.

If they are creating high resistance, then your BBSHD won't be getting the current it needs and may be a cause of your problems.

Also, the controller connectors may not be pushed all the way home. It does involve a little bit of DIY to rectify. I'm sure d8veh had this issue a while back. Hopefully he'll be along soon to clarify.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Advertisers