Be Careful Out there...

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Yesterday's ride turned out to be interesting to say the least.
Quite nice when I set off and tootled along the canal to Llangollen.

IMG_4554.jpg

Valle Crucis Abbey

IMG_4555.jpg

Climbed steadily to top the Horseshoe at 1367 Ft. By now it was cold.
IMG_4556.jpg IMG_4557.jpg

Went down the old pass to the bottom of the valley and climbed up to the ford at World's End. I had my first mishap here and the bike went from under me as I crossed the ford; luckily I'd only just set off so it was about 5mph. Wet but no problemo.

IMG_4558-4560.jpg IMG_4561.jpg

Climbed slowly up to the moors to 1440 Ft where it was very cold. Decided to rush down off the wind blown top to get to warmer climes. (No pun). I'd just passed Hafod Farm when the road took a right, as I turned, the bike went from under me. At this point I was doing around 35 MPH. Not good. I ended up quite a way from the bike and quite a way from the road. As they say - it all happened in slow motion. I was really lucky. The road is so narrow I only had a little tarmac to scrape along before going over the edge. So, I've a little road rash and a painful back, shoulder, arm and thigh. Let's hope it doesn't develop into anything worse. So do be careful out there.

Finished Cycle: 10 Apr 2014 17:56:47
Route: Neo - Horseshoe Pass - Worlds End
Ride Link: http://cyclemeter.com/a9aa88fd4d59e387/Cycle-20140410-1358?r=e
Ride Time: 2:26:30
Stopped Time: 48:58
Distance: 31.50 miles
Average: 12.90 mph
Fastest Speed: 36.23 mph
Ascent: 3957 feet

IMG_4562.jpg IMG_4563.jpg

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Back and shoulder are a lot better but my knee is very sore. I've prescribed myself some wine. :)
Bike seems good. The seat had gone askew as well as the handlebars but I've straightened them.
I think or rather I hope I'll go slower in future.:D

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I feel your pain, Taff - glad you're only walking wounded. I've missed your regular ride write ups. Good that you're back in the saddle ;)

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
How on earth do you just fall off when turning a corner?

Were you just going to fast?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
That a bicycle remains upright at all is something of a triumph over gravity, so it takes nothing much to unbalance one.

Reactions: timidtom

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
How on earth do you just fall off when turning a corner?

Were you just going to fast?
Well I've been a heck of a lot faster than 36mph without mishap.
Maybe there was a damp patch or maybe the tyre was slippy from crossing the ford. Bit of a bugger.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Once the site was changed and the blogs disappeared I lost heart with posting.
Have you considered becoming an entrepreneur & putting-up your own site, Taff?

I started mine with the idea of putting across my views on ebikes & kits & now blog my more "adventurous" rides.

If it tickles your fancy, have a look at Weebly - It's the one I use & I believe Cyclezee does too: Dead easy to use & has a blog facility.

Doesn't bother me greatly if people read it or not - I just enjoys writing it: I post reference to it when anyone asks for opinions etc.

www.cornish-alpine-ebikes.co.uk

Reactions: EddiePJ

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
I did start a 'Hike and Bike' blog some years ago but I struggled with time. I do put my photos on Panoramio.com.

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Well my knee is giving me gip but I hope it'll not last as long as that.:eek:
If I remember correctly you get the lovely sensation of peeling your trousers away from your knee if it isn't covered with a bandage... yay

Taff

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2011
Wrexham
Yes- normally these things itch like hell but touch wood no temptation. Of course you might have meant put salt on it and pick...

Reactions: peerjay56