Because I'm worth it......

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Been looking at mudguard extenders on eBay, and remembered someone on here (I think) saying they used old plastic bottles. Well folks, I give you..... the zero cost..... Unilever mudguard extender :cool::

From a shampoo bottle:

To a mudguard extender:

This is a version 1 prototype. Nipped on with a cable tie (second hand one of course), but it's secure enough that I might just leave it for a bit, rather than put any holes in the mudguard for the moment.

Mounted up the M20 too:

And it stopped raining about 10 minutes ago, so no prizes for guessing where I'm going.....

Gaz :D

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I love 'Ghetto mods' - Great job. :)

Here's a winter tip that I use to save scraping my car windscreen in the mornings. It really works too.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Hmmm, needs a re-think :mad:

Extender is doing it's job nicely.

Got about 6 miles out across Pevensey Marshes, riding with the wind and noticed the mudguard moving. On the way back it became apparent that the wider bottom of the extender, while protecting my tootsies (what it was intended to do), is also an air scoop, which wiggled a bit. Then, as I got to about 10mph, the wiggle became a wobble, and then started to oscillate like a demented grasshopper, hitting one side of the tyre and then the other, with a sound not unlike when you put cardboard in yer spokes as a kid. Useful for alerting pedestrians to your presence, or, in the case of my bike and the noise I was creating, letting in-bound flights to Gatwick know where I was. The volume was extraordinary and became like water torture after just a few seconds. Will try slimming it down, aero dynamics and co-efficient of drag stylee and see where we go from there.

On another learning curve, the M20 was in the wrong place on my handlebar - too far out from the stem - and was bouncing like a good 'un, so I swapped it with the Hope, and sat it right next to the stem, which has now stopped it shaking itself to death.

Back home and it's not windy. Out on the Marshes it was blowing up a hoolee. Not especially nice at all. Time for a cuppa :)

Gaz

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I wonder if you could do the same type shape with an old piece of inner tube. A rubber flap would flex up in the wind, still block mud and throw water behind the bike, yet it shouldn't wiggle or air scoop too much. Keep us posted on mark 2. :)

Reactions: Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Gaz, what's with the saddle angle?
It's accentuated by the camera angle, but being a Brooks, it gradually moulds to your (my) body shape. I have a fair bit of difference in muscle mass between my left and right sides - I'm a wonky donkey :eek:

Gaz

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
It's accentuated by the camera angle, but being a Brooks, it gradually moulds to your (my) body shape. I have a fair bit of difference in muscle mass between my left and right sides - I'm a wonky donkey :eek:

Gaz
Mine's like that as well but that's because I up-ended it and it came down on the saddle. Don't know if I can fix it without a strong vice.