Best bike for hills/ ezee batteries

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Hi, I have a step-thro' Ezee Sprint, 2006/7 model not ridden for quite a while. Batteries obviously are an issue now. Familiar with cut outs of Lithium batteries in the past on climbing hills, so had NiMH batteries, however, I have two questions as I feel I want to use my bike this year, and I can't believe how much a Sprint now costs !

1. What battery should I now be looking at - remember under strain for a lot of my journey -

2. If I were to change bikes completely, what would anyone suggest - I need it for riding up to our village and occasionally to Truro an 18-20 mile round trip. The Sprint is actually a little tall for me and I have trouble reaching the ground, but I can manage!

I realise there must be a wealth of information on this site, but I've been off the site for quite a while due to beraevement so your help would be greatly appreciated. thanks Jeanette :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The current eZee li-polymer batteries are a large advance on what they used to be Jeanette, particularly in giving more performance. In the same case they now come in two sizes, 10 Ah like the old li-ion size, and a 14 Ah one. If you can afford the 14 Ah battery it's well worth it for the power boost and range that it gives.

There's not a lot of choice of step-through e-bikes, and even fewer that can compete with the Sprint on power. Not all bikes have the independent throttle system now either, many being pedelec only with no throttle.

Others with experience of them may be able to suggest alternatives that might do the job.

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Welcome back Jeanette. Good to hear you're thinking about getting on your bike again after your loss.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
problem is that the 14ah battery is over 500 quid

I have an Ezee Torq to which I have mounted on the rack a 36v 15ah Chinese Lifepo4 battery (187 off e-bay - discussed on here many times) and it works great!

My iphone tracker shows average speeds of 15mph plus, and distances of over 30 miles on hilly terrain with absolutely no problem.

I have just aquired a Sprint for my wife as a replacement for the Ezee Liv she had and I will be doing the same battery conversion for that as the Ezee one is sagging a bit and obviously on the way out.

Jeanette Morgan

Pedelecer
Nov 29, 2006
CORNWALL
Thanks for your help and for welcoming me back.

I have in fact today ordered a replacement battery from Onbike. Apparently they are now guaranteed for two years which is a lot more than in the old days. I'll make sure I maintain it in the proper way and use it throughout the winter as well on good days and maybe keep it in the house when it gets very cold?

I think the high cost of the battery will certainly concentrate my mind to use the bike instead of the car where ever possible. With the price of petrol, not to mention the availability of petrol if things abroad get worse, I'm sure this will be a good investment.

I have no technical knowledge to do as suggested re using a different type of battery. I prefer and need to have the back up of the guarantee and Onbike.

Can't wait for it to arrive now, should be here next Friday - would have been sooner but I did not order til late today and due to having some appointments next week I can't stay in to receive it unil Friday. So I'm committed now, must get back out there on the bike. I'm sure my Richard will be smiling, he loved cycling on his Sprint, and it's good to know he did so, right up to the last moment of his life. He never thought he'd be cycling comfortably at the age of 61 the bikes gave us much enjoyment, and now I am able to begin to enjoy those happy memories. Won't need the two way radios anymore tho' sadly.

Cheers Jeanette

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
your richard will be having a right good laugh when he sees you back on the bike. i am sure he will be sat on your shoulder keeping you safe.......

regards