Best ebike for 40 mile per day commute (hilly!)

Dalek

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2015
Hi, can anyone suggest a good bike or kit for me? I want to commute the 20 mile distance to work and back (total 40 miles per day). I only have a hour to do the ride each way so need an ebike as I can only cycle about 11mph average with a standard bike on this route which is fairly hilly. The bike needs to last there and back on one charge if possible. I want to commute 5 days a week so the battery needs to be reliable too. Obviously the cheaper the better but needs to be up to the job! Can anyone help, there is just too much choice out there!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My Kudos Rapide would do that job,the BPM motor is ideal for hill climbing and will do the range provided you put in some effort,the hydraulic brakes help with easy downhill retardation.
You would need 3-5 hours at work to charge the battery,time dependent how much battery you use on your outgoing trip.
The bike was built with the best parts I have available,not price led but quality led.
It also rides well without the power.
Specifically designed as a ride to work bike.
Price....£1395.00 inc vat.
We loaned the Rapide to a guy on this forum who did exactly the same length and type of journey,he did a report elsewhere on this forum.
Kudos

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
My Kudos Rapide would do that job,the BPM motor is ideal for hill climbing and will do the range provided you put in some effort,the hydraulic brakes help with easy downhill retardation.
You would need 3-5 hours at work to charge the battery,time dependent how much battery you use on your outgoing trip.
The bike was built with the best parts I have available,not price led but quality led.
It also rides well without the power.
Specifically designed as a ride to work bike.
Price....£1395.00 inc vat.
We loaned the Rapide to a guy on this forum who did exactly the same length and type of journey,he did a report elsewhere on this forum.
Kudos
Thank you! I am a 5'5" female, would the 51cm frame be too big or about right? Not sure what the frame on my current bike is. I don't mind having the cross bar.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh Santana CD would be good for the job.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sanata-cd
Crank drive, fast, low step frame, perfect for your height, comfortable riding position, 15AH battery, good range. If you can wait a bit, the new woosh Karoo LS arriving in November with SWX02 rear hub drive is a cheaper alternative.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
20 miles = 20 mph average speed. also stick the route in Strava so we can see the elevation involved, miss the start and end off to remain anonymous if you're bothered.

https://www.strava.com/routes

Is Kudos really offering to sell an S-pedelec :confused:

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
20 miles = 20 mph average speed.
Hence the need for an ebike! I basically need something that can double my average speed. I understand that I will need to put in a fair bit of pedalling due to the UK limits on ebike speeds but I don't mind that.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Dalek, please keep in mind that legally, your bike will be limited to 15.5mph, you can push the average to may be 16-17mph but it's certainly illegal to derestrict your bike to gain higher average speed.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
No legal ebike will come close to 20mph average.

Even an over powered illegal one would struggle.

Have you thought about a moped?

A reasonable quality one can be had for £1,000 or so.

Reactions: Sara

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
Dalek, please keep in mind that legally, your bike will be limited to 15.5mph, you can push the average to may be 16-17mph but it's certainly illegal to derestrict your bike to gain higher average speed.
20 miles = 20 mph average speed. also stick the route in Strava so we can see the elevation involved, miss the start and end off to remain anonymous if you're bothered.

https://www.strava.com/routes

Is Kudos really offering to sell an S-pedelec :confused:
Hi, I don't really want to put up the route but I just looked at my last ride there and the route is actually only 17.5 miles (that's not what Google maps told me but I'm glad it's less). My average was 12.5mph on a normal bike and elevation was 999 feet. I understood that the 15mph restriction was for power only cycling, and I could go a bit faster than that if I pedal enough? What is an S-pedelec btw?

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
the woosh Santana CD would be good for the job.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sanata-cd
Crank drive, fast, low step frame, perfect for your height, comfortable riding position, 15AH battery, good range. If you can wait a bit, the new woosh Karoo LS arriving in November with SWX02 rear hub drive is a cheaper alternative.
Thanks, I like the long battery range on this. Looks good if a bit 'upright'. Others on this thread say no bike will do the journey in an hour due to the restrictions to 15mph. Is this right? Or can I pedal to go a bit faster? I need to average about 17.5mph. Thanks for your time x

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
S- ped is a speed ped aimed to travel above the 15.5 restriction with little effort usually with a motor greater than 250w, I rode a Kalkhoff Endeavour some time ago and 25-30mph was very easy on the flat and with more effort I managed 35mph. On the rode and of road these are illegal unless they are registered and meet the appropriate licensing regs however these bikes can be bought easily off the shelf as with any thing the onus is on the user and not the seller ti ensure it is used legally.
As an a side my hybrid with Bigbear kit can tootle a long at 19-21 mph on the flat fairly easily if you derestrict it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can go 20mph no problem with the dongle on my bike its about the speed i ride round at anyway average on flat.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Others on this thread say no bike will do the journey in an hour due to the restrictions to 15mph. Is this right? Or can I pedal to go a bit faster? I need to average about 17.5mph. Thanks for your time x
with any good derestricted crank drive, you can easily pedal above 20mph on flat roads and in top gear. 20mph corresponds roughly to a cadence about 53-55 rpm. These crank drive bikes can assist up to 85 rpm.
Speed isn't a problem until the police notice your speed.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have been past loads of police on my bike and never had a problem, tho i dont blast past um at 30 mph tho.

even if i did all i need do is lose them round a corner pull my dongle off hit reset and bike default, they cant do anything about it tbh.

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
So, to be clear, is the law that you can't go more than 15mph on an ebike even if some of that is under your own steam? I thought it just wasn't allowed to push you more than 15mph if you aren't pedalling? You'd do more than that on a downhill anyway!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Thanks, I like the long battery range on this. Looks good if a bit 'upright'. Others on this thread say no bike will do the journey in an hour due to the restrictions to 15mph. Is this right? Or can I pedal to go a bit faster? I need to average about 17.5mph. Thanks for your time x
Some bikes like Kalkhoffs use the 10% leeway to cut out at just over 17mph. You will need a bike that rolls well if you want to pedal past the cut out. E bikes are heavy and many don’t roll well. I can hold a few mph above the 17 mph on my Kalkhoff on the flat but I can’t go anything like as fast as I could on my road bikes or keep it there as long. I’m a good bit older now than then though.

You can go as fast as you can make it go but the law says the power cuts out at 25kph give or take 10%

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 25kph not mph so 15.5 mph but as above can peddle it as fast as you like under ur own power over 15mph.

prob why police just dont bother with them yet!

Dalek

Oct 4, 2015
Some bikes like Kalkhoffs use the 10% leeway to cut out at just over 17mph. You will need a bike that rolls well if you want to pedal past the cut out. E bikes are heavy and many don’t roll well. I can hold a few mph above the 17 mph on my Kalkhoff on the flat but I can’t go anything like as fast as I could on my road bikes or keep it there as long. I’m a good bit older now than then though.

You can go as fast as you can make it go but the law says the power cuts out at 25kph give or take 10%
Ok thanks, that makes sense. I think I have enough downhill sections to get me there in time as long as I can stay close to the 25kph the rest of the time, including uphill.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
So, to be clear, is the law that you can't go more than 15mph on an ebike even if some of that is under your own steam? I thought it just wasn't allowed to push you more than 15mph if you aren't pedalling? You'd do more than that on a downhill anyway!
Downhilling and coasting at high speed are fine.
When riding assisted, assistance must legally cease when you ride at over 25km/h, then you must ride 100% under your own steam. German bikes are usually programmed to ease off the assistance when you get near 25kph and cut off completely around 30kph. Chinese bikes are programmed to power down very sharply when the set speed limit is crossed, making pedalling to appear suddenly much harder when you are over. You derestrict a German bike with a dongle, causing the bike to show half your real speed, a Chinese bike by setting the limit higher than 25kph in the LCD.

Reactions: soundwave