Best ebike for a newbie on diet/fitness regime following a heart attack

Caztaylor

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 23, 2013
Basingstoke
Hi all, My name is Andrew and would appreciate some guidance on the right e bike for my circumstances.

Following a heart attack at the start of June I am in recovery and starting rehab. I am 49 and as part of my rehab need to lose weight and via diet and exercise. I have already dropped 1 stone to 18 1/2 stone (118kg)and will be looking to be under 18 (114 kg)stone by mid July when I hope to purchase - Budget under £1000 but could stretch a bit further.

My cardiologist,a keen biker, has recommended I purchase a bike and in particular a pedelec Mtb style to which would get me the 2 miles to work and back slight incline and a few steep drops and climbs and also for weekends on longer Cycle routes up 10-20 miles rolling Hampshire countryside Basingstoke to Alton / New Alresford.

Due to my current weight I have been looking at the crank drive Woosh Sirocco CD and Kudos Ibex.Are these my best options? I have also looked at the Batribike granite and Cyclotricity Stealth.

For further info I am 5 ft 7 and inside leg is 29.

I am aware of the wealth of knowledgable members on this forum and would really appreciate your help

Andrew

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Hi,

I'm not sure i qualify as a wealth of knowledge, but as i'm local and physically quite similar to you (though taller) i thought i'd chuck my 2p in - you'll probably see me pootling around on the basingstoke/alton/alresford/odiham route quite a lot.

the cyclotricity stealth is much better than it should be for the price, and certainly ridable but its an extremely lightweight ebike, and you might find it a bit underpowered and flimsy i suspect as a new(ish) cyclist

the batribike i almost bought and it was surprisingly good (i ended up with a bh neo after testing quite a few bikes) but might well have ended up the kudos if they'd actually had one to sell me.

All the bikes you mention will do all of the hills around here id suspect (there is a 14% between long sutton and the golden pot that my bike flies up, and my wifes oxygen diva goes up quite happily thats about the steepest thing in these parts - i'm doing about 100 miles a week or so, and criss cross all the roads around here a fair amount)

best thing is to pop around the shops and ride as many as you can - nearer to home, i'm not sure crank do anything in the cheaper end of MTB, but worth checking, also worth popping down to aldershot to see Rami who designs the cyclotricity bikes but has quite a lot of different bikes for testing, and is really helpful and a nice guy, velospeed the far side of reading are really helpful and have the batribike for testing - and pick the one that feels right.

If you want a look at/go on the neo xtrem, pm me, and i'll let you know when i'm riding out your neck of the woods.

cheers

rob

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Juicy Bikes also offer decent bikes within your budget.

Another option is to get a better quality bike 2nd hand. I am selling a Wisper 705 Alpino at the moment which is a very solid quality bike - although not really MTB style.

Wisper1.jpg

My mum lives in Alton so I could deliver. Just in case you're interested I include the details below.

Wisper 705 Alpino (2011 Model) 28” Wheels 48cm Step-Thru Frame

Top of the range Wisper bike in very good condition. This bike has been used regularly over the last 20 months and has covered about 1600 miles – about 40 charge cycles. The battery shows no signs of loss of capacity or range.

A new model would cost in excess of £1800. This good as new, used version is available for only £800.

Full Specifications:

Motor Dapu 250W high efficiency brushless 36V driving the front wheel
Battery Lithium Polymer 36V 14Ah
Charger Lithium 120 to 240V/36V 3Ah, fan cooled, alloy case, approved for worldwide use
Modes Throttle and pedal assist, with on / off button and six power settings.
LCD display with speed, trip, battery power and diagnostics.
Range Up to 90 km (56 miles)
Max Speed 15.5mph (25 km/h) under power
Weight Bike with battery and all accessories 24.65kg
Gears Shimano Alfine 8 hub gears
Frame Hand built 6061 Ts T5 Alloy paint baked 3 coats
Forks Magnesium RST suspension forks with lock out and adjustment
Handlebars Alloy riser bars
Brakes APSE levers with vented Shimano disk brakes front and Promax V brakes rear
Chainwheel Hollow Tech
Pedals Silver Sealed bearing
Rims Alex Rims Eyeletted 700c disc specific rims
Spokes 13g Stainless steel
Chain KMC Z51RB rust proof
Tyres Kenda Shield 28” x 1.75 puncture resistant
Kick stand Alloy twin fixing points
Lights Rear LED battery light Front Super bright LED automatic main battery
All fixings Alloy or stainless steel
Saddle post Hinge over saddle post
Extra Full polycarbonate chrome mudguards, Velo saddle and rear rack.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Your weight at 18+ stone is irrelevant - you are not too heavy for any ebike.

In a way that's not helpful because it means your choice is even wider and more bewildering.

In broad terms, most ebikes in your price range have about the same amount of poke.

Your proposed commute is short so a 10ah battery will be more than adequate.

Rather than a mountain bike, I would get something with mudguards and a pannier rack - you are bound to want to carry some stuff to work, even if it's only your new, healthy packed lunch.

Chunky mountain bike tyres do not roll - or wear - well on road, so that's another reason to get something with a light tread.

So where is all this leading?

Woosh are a good budget buy, as is Kudos - they are in Kent which you might regard as within striking distance.

The Kudos Tourer fits the bill and you can spec a gear hub for cleaner running and lower maintenance.

.: Kudos Cycles - e-bikes with style :.

Giant have become active in the market again recently, they have a couple of decent ebikes at around £1,000 and you might even find one in a local bike shop.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Caztaylor, the Wisper has a good battery (36V 14AH) and a good motor, essential for your weight and condition. Whichever bike you buy, get a big battery.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo comes with a heart monitor chest belt that connects with the bike's power management system to keep your heart rate within a preset range, it's specifically designed for recovery from heart problems or whenever the rider needs to maintain exercise at a steady rate. It also has the fancy new NuVinci Harmony gears.

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVi Harmony 45cm TI 26"

I've been riding one all week, pre-setting to 144bpm is working wonders and i seem to be cycling further as a result, experimenting with how it manages my effort to keep my heart rate as near to 144bpm as possible. It's really clever.

PS just spotted your budget - this model falls outside that.

Last edited:

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
The Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo comes with a heart monitor chest belt that connects with the bike's power management system to keep your heart rate within a preset range, it's specifically designed for recovery from heart problems or whenever the rider needs to maintain exercise at a steady rate. It also has the fancy new NuVinci Harmony gears.

Kalkhoff Impulse Ergo NuVi Harmony 45cm TI 26"

I've been riding one all week, pre-setting to 144bpm is working wonders and i seem to be cycling further as a result, experimenting with how it manages my effort to keep my heart rate as near to 144bpm as possible. It's really clever.

PS just spotted your budget - this model falls outside that.
sorry for the thread hijack, but thats very cool - how does the monitor work? is it embedded in the grips or do you wear an external sensor?

Back on track for the thread...the back roads around here are quite potholed, so i'd say whatever you end up wider tyres and suspension forks are a must if you plan to venture off the main roads. I'd also say that the mtb with commuter tyres leaves the options of the canal towpaths and tracks open to you longer term - both back roads and tow paths are much pleasanter places to ride than the main roads around here.

for reference on battery and motor size, i ride a 9ah battery with one of the more powerful motors, on the roads around here, if i ride on battery full time, i get about 30 miles out of it on the roads around here with a smattering of hills, upto about 40 if i take the flats only. when switching on and off the motor, the record is 112 miles for me around here, with the battery down to the last bar when i got home.

I really notice the difference in the powerful motor (i've used my wifes oxygen diva while mine has been out of action - which has a stellar 15ah battery, does a good job overall, but isn't half as good at whizzing me up hills) but as i say, ride and try as many as you can - best way to choose :)

TJ1978

Just Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Hi Andrew, I'm new to eBikes myself so can't help on that front but I would like to take the opportunity to share some health related info which you might find interesting.

I came across the concept of Ancesteral Health (also known as Paleo, Primal or Caveman diet) last summer whilst trying to lose weight and boost my energy levels. It's based on the concept that Mother Nature knows best and that by eating the natural foods we ate as we evolved as a species (and avoiding the other junk) we can achieve optimal health. It's more of a lifestyle than a out and out diet and also incorporates other elements like excercise, stress reduction, getting enough sunlight, being outdoors (the eBike will help you with lots of those!).

Over the last 9 month I've maintained a weight loss of over 1 stone which brings me to my ideal weight. Seeing my success, several friends and family members have also joined in including my 68 year father who has now lost 1 and a half stone, increased his HDL, lowered his LDL and DRAMATICALLY decreased his triglyceride levels (which I now believe is key to heart disease prevention).

I think the best place to start is by introducing a chap named Mark Sisson and his blog Mark's Daily Apple

Have a look around there to get the basics and I'd also reccommend signing up to the email subscriptions where he'll send you a series of emails to introduce the concept step-by-step. the first one starts off with the question "What are humans supposed to eat?". Food for thought!

If you interested and would like more info then don't hesitate to get in touch. I can send you Amazon links to some of the better books I've read on the subject of Paleo, cholesterol and heart disease. This stuff has changed my life so I'm keen to share! (hope I've not come across as preaching, I'm just very enthusiastic about this). :)

Best wishes & good health,

Tim

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
sorry for the thread hijack, but thats very cool - how does the monitor work? is it embedded in the grips or do you wear an external sensor?

Back on track for the thread...the back roads around here are quite potholed, so i'd say whatever you end up wider tyres and suspension forks are a must if you plan to venture off the main roads. I'd also say that the mtb with commuter tyres leaves the options of the canal towpaths and tracks open to you longer term - both back roads and tow paths are much pleasanter places to ride than the main roads around here.

for reference on battery and motor size, i ride a 9ah battery with one of the more powerful motors, on the roads around here, if i ride on battery full time, i get about 30 miles out of it on the roads around here with a smattering of hills, upto about 40 if i take the flats only. when switching on and off the motor, the record is 112 miles for me around here, with the battery down to the last bar when i got home.

I really notice the difference in the powerful motor (i've used my wifes oxygen diva while mine has been out of action - which has a stellar 15ah battery, does a good job overall, but isn't half as good at whizzing me up hills) but as i say, ride and try as many as you can - best way to choose :)
Daum manufacture Impulse system which had a heart monitor (dynamic control) link below. I am sure it is similar but imagine 50 C will provide more info.

http://www.daum-electronic.de/en/download/daum_pedelec_0005-GB-web.pdf

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
hmmm if its the same as that one, looks like its a chest strap - use one of these on the rowing machine, but not sure i like the idea of being wired to the bike..........not that i'm going to buy one anyways of course ;) but interesting idea to control effort to heart rate on a bike.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
It's a wireless chest belt sensor.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
It's a wireless chest belt sensor.
Annoyingly my wife was reading over my shoulder and pointed out that so is my rowing machine one...the wire goes to the beam the seat slides on...

I shall now go and stand at the back of the class ..... ;)

Caztaylor

Jun 23, 2013
Basingstoke
thank you all for your posts certainly a lot to think about. My budget of under £1000 is likely to be financed by the cycle to work scheme so I would guess this would rule out 2nd hand bikes sold privately. the heart rate monitor its an intriguing option but probably not a necessity. If any one else has any advice please let me know. I still seem drawn to the Woosh Sirocco CD with pannier mudguards and 36v 15a battery, but would prefer a bottle style battery option10a or higher. can anyone recommend any options close to my price range?

Caztaylor

Jun 23, 2013
Basingstoke
Hi Tim, Despite my comment that I do not think a Heart monitor is needed I have just read the reviews and I am mightily impressed - it is just a pity about the understandably high price of £2.6k ( relative to my budget).

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Trex, Thanks for your comments - which Wisper model would you recommend?
Your budget is insufficient for your needs, my best bet goes for the used Wisper.

D

Deleted member 4366

If any one else has any advice please let me know. I still seem drawn to the Woosh Sirocco CD with pannier mudguards and 36v 15a battery, but would prefer a bottle style battery option10a or higher. can anyone recommend any options close to my price range?
The Woosh Sirocco CD is a nice package and can climb steep hills slowly. The Ibex performance will be the same because it hss the same motor.

I guess that you need to take it easy sometimes, so perhaps a bike with good climbing ability and good power like the Kudos Tornado. It's £95 over your budget, but maybe you can negotiate a bit. Kudos don't do CTW scheme though.