Best high-torque option for mobility trike.

Twelvebears

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2016
Hertfordshire
Hi All.

As mentioned in my 'hello' introduction post, I'm a noob looking to nail together a e-Bike unit for my wheelchair which is capable of a bit of off-road stuff.

Not a full-time user, as I often just use crutches, but there are times when having the wheels is handy for long distances and keeping up with friends.

I'm not interested in the few limited commercial 'Power Trike' offerings and want to build my own for 3 main reasons:

1. They are too expensive for the performance they offer

2. Their performance is too restricted given that I will be using this off-road or on tracks

3. I'm a 'tinkerer' by nature and buying something off the shelf is just too easy/boring

Let me just say, that by 'performance', I'm not talking speed here, 15.5mph when you're being towed along in a wheelchair feels plenty fast enough I can assure you, no I'm talking about having enough power and torque to cope with bump terrain and reasonable slopes.

Research has led me to conclude that:

DD hubs are probably out as they are both very heavy (not good for taking on and off or lifting into a boot) and not really set-up to provide lots of low speed or standing start torque.

So my options would seem to be a powerful geared hub motor, or a mid-drive.

So the question is whether there is actually a geared hub motor, wound for high torque that will do the job, or if a mid-drive with a suitable (probably in-hub) gear train would be a better bet.

FYI weight is not a massive consideration, in fact it's probably helpful for traction in my application, and the build would need to be based on a 20" wheel.

Input most welcome!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
20" due to the limits of the frame I will likely have to use.
Could you post any pics of the trike, or similar please.

If it's anything like what the pictures Google throws up, then the big issue will be traction if a front hub motor is used.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's difficult to find a BPM motor with the correct speed. They have a speed code marked on them, but the sellers never tell you what it is. You need a 36v code 12 or 48v code 15. You can go one code either way on each of those. The motor is marked something like "BPM 48V500W 26(13)" 13 is the speed code.

This one is the nearest I can find. It might be a good idea to confirm the codes because they keep changing them. In theory 201 rpm is about 12 mph and 328 rpm about 19mph in a 20" wheel.

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/346-bafang-bpm2-48v500w-front-driving-bike-conversion-kit-ebike-kit.html

Twelvebears

Sep 20, 2016
Hertfordshire
Thanks, that's helpful.

As you say judging the RPM is key - really I want a decent wattage motor geared so that to will top out around the max speed I want to hit 15-19 mph is fine as I'm after pulling power more than outright speed.

Twelvebears

Sep 20, 2016
Hertfordshire
Could you post any pics of the trike, or similar please.

If it's anything like what the pictures Google throws up, then the big issue will be traction if a front hub motor is used.
This or similar would be the basis for the build:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Team-Hybrid-Coyote-S7-Handcycle-attachment-for-rigid-wheelchairs-/282157970506?hash=item41b1ecf44a:g:sUsAAOSwFnFWFXYx

Yes traction could be an issue, but I have a few ways to tackle that:

Pick a heft Direct Drive hub motor. I won't be trail hopping, so unsprung weight is not an issue.

Careful location of the battery

Having a secondary rear axle which is positioned further back to shift more weight onto the front tyre.

Reactions: Fordulike