Help! Besv PAS1 help and repair pls

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm trying help community bike repair group with an unusual ebike. A full suspension, carbon fibre, small wheel bike.

It has a rear AK motor, a proprietary lcd and battery , a controller I don't recognise and a strange failure. I'll try to keep this succient.

The issue is that the lcd fires up but shows zero battery. The up and down pas buttons do nothing But when you enter the menu they work fine. Just not on the main screen and I suspect as battery shows empty. However

Tests done

1. The charger outputs 42v, all good
2. The battery charges to 42v but if left for 24hrs will drop to 41.5v but no more after further sitting
3. I have jerry rigged two further 36v packs in and same result
4. When I remove the battery bracket to get at the controller it has same size and shape as a standard 250w controller.
5. There is only a power link to the controller ie no Can or handshake required. In fact only2 of the 4 power blades are connected
6. The blades and receivers are tight (and I bypassed with other batteries anyway)
7. Wiring is all Higo waterproof style
8.someone has attempted to repair the 5 wires from the controller to the LCD. They only reconnected 4 out of 5. I have connected them all with no luck
9. It has 2 brake cutoffs, I have tried with none, all and both connected. No power to motor
10.there is full battery power at the lcd conne tion point ie 42v or near a ough but still the lcd reads empty battery.

Photos below (don't shoot the messenger on the lcd soldering. In the words of Shaggy, it wasn't me

Overall the bike seems like a well made, quality bit of kit.

I'm leaning towards a LCD issue. Possibly an issue between the Higo connector and lcd itself. Any thoughts appreciated but especislly on the below

1. There really doesn't appear to be any PAS. No wires, no magnet no sensors. Everything looks basically new and untouched too

2. Do you recogise this controller? So I might swap out the LCD

3. Is this motor an odd one? Maybe pas integrated somehow?

Cheers all

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The LCD works independently from the controller regarding switching on, battery display, menus, etc. It needs to communicate with the controller for other functions to work.

One or two of the five wires carry battery voltage, depending on whether the LCD is switched on or off. If either of those wires when live touch the data wires, you'll probably wipe out the CPUs in the controller and LCD, and possibly other 5V devices. Your best hope would be to buy a new controller and LCD. You can test all the sensors first, so you'll know whether to replace them too.

Reactions: KirstinS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Being the controller wiring is a mess for what ever reason it has become like that, it's probable something has shorted in the display.

The use of Higo is usually Bafang systems domain.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The LCD works independently from the controller regarding switching on, battery display, menus, etc. It needs to communicate with the controller for other functions to work.

One or two of the five wires carry battery voltage, depending on whether the LCD is switched on or off. If either of those wires when live touch the data wires, you'll probably wipe out the CPUs in the controller and LCD, and possibly other 5V devices. Your best hope would be to buy a new controller and LCD. You can test all the sensors first, so you'll know whether to replace them too.
Thanks vfr

If Nealh is right and largely Bafang use higo then might an old Bafang LED on/off and pass unit do?

Also any potential jumper option to bypass lcd and get pas 1?

I'm worried about the lack of a pas sensor. Doesn't even seen to be any output from the controller

So a standard ish controller and lcd might not function?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks vfr

If Nealh is right and largely Bafang use higo then might an old Bafang LED on/off and pass unit do?

Also any potential jumper option to bypass lcd and get pas 1?

I'm worried about the lack of a pas sensor. Doesn't even seen to be any output from the controller

So a standard ish controller and lcd might not function?
The motor is standard, so a a normal controller and LCD will work. The only question is whether the battery uses comms. You must check how many wires are connected to the battery. Just the normal two means you're OK. More than that gets tricky.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The motor is standard, so a a normal controller and LCD will work. The only question is whether the battery uses comms. You must check how many wires are connected to the battery. Just the normal two means you're OK. More than that gets tricky.
Hi vfr, thanks. Deffo just the two,i checked that early on and plugged in different batteries too. Bike behaved same regardless.

Sorry to bang on about this but how does the bike work without a pas sensor? Halls?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It has a torque sensor, which is probably in the BB or on the left rear drop-out. That won't work with a new controller, so fit a new PAS with the new controller if feasible.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
It has a torque sensor, which is probably in the BB or on the left rear drop-out. That won't work with a new controller, so fit a new PAS with the new controller if feasible.
Thnaks vfr, I'll go hunting for a 250w controller and lcd that will fit