Beware of dogs!

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Anybody had a nasty experience with dogs while cycling? I know i know- Uk is animal lover country, but to have them coming after you when riding isn´t fun. At least for me. any helpful tips?
Note: I own a big dog, a cinnamon Belgium shepherd. And always liked the beasties. Always had one.
Poppy.

nikon201

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2008
Kent
How about keeping some dog chews in your pocket to throw down, they'd probably be more interested in food than chasing you

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
buy an airzound....that should frighten them off !!!

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Anybody had a nasty experience with dogs while cycling? I know i know- Uk is animal lover country, but to have them coming after you when riding isn´t fun. At least for me. any helpful tips?
Note: I own a big dog, a cinnamon Belgium shepherd. And always liked the beasties. Always had one.
Poppy.
Hello Poppy here is a tread we had a while back on the subject,
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/968-dog-days.html?highlight=bite
I don’t normally have problems with Dogs my bikes two quick for them :) I do carry a stick when I am in the park:eek: no not to hit them with but to throw well I make my getaway.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Beware of dogs

I can tell you all that ultrasonic thingies don´t cut it. Most of these gadgets warn you that they may not work with furious or too excited dogs. Another common advice is spray can-but they are either inoffensive or too offensive. Another "useful" tip is to carry an umbrella...Just imagine that in sunny summer days or its manageability as a weapon in the nick of the time....
Wouldn´t mind on some occassions using any/all of the above on the owners.
Lucky those of you that can outrun a dog uphill!

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I second the Airzound.
I got one yesterday and it Rocks.
Any dog will run a mile.
Apart from scaring dogs why would a cyclist want an air horn this loud?
Surely it might give someone a heart attack if you are approaching them from behind.:confused:

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Surely it might give someone a heart attack if you are approaching them from behind.:confused:
I argee! From experience I found that if a sound is above a certain loudness or even any sound that is too close just freeze the person to the spot in shock rather than gets them out of the way. And if they happen to be teenagers then you may as well forget it as nothing gets their attention:(

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Well if you obstruct the horn a little, I use a piece of old inner tube, it gives a much better horn sound than previous and is probably in the range of about 50db, rather than the 114db it normally gives out.

The reason I bought this horn is because i was on my 3rd bell and they were still a waste of money.
The standard Pro-Connect bell was useless, the 2nd was a electronic bell.
Louder than the other, though still useless.
Then followed a larger (classic) bell, and again, no pedestrian heard me coming at all.
Depending on how fast you are travelling and other factors like the wind or street traffic, most of the time the conventional bells are just a waste of air.

The airzound on the other hand can never be unheard and like i said with a bit of DIY you can change the db to suit your needs.

I leave the inner tube in the horn in rural area's and take it out for full db in the city where you do need it.
Its a very adaptable system.

Hope this answers your questions.
Bob.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
The Airzound is for the cars, not the Peds. I was passing a T junction a few weeks back in Hospital grounds early in the morning. A Taxi had just dropped off a nurse. As I approached I saw the white 'reversing' lights go on and the driver had thrown the car into reverse at speed.

(I was ready)

One large toot later and I sped past a stalled taxi whose driver I assume was busy looking for a HGV somewhere....

John

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
The Airzound is for the cars, not the Peds. I was passing a T junction a few weeks back in Hospital grounds early in the morning. A Taxi had just dropped off a nurse. As I approached I saw the white 'reversing' lights go on and the driver had thrown the car into reverse at speed.

(I was ready)

One large toot later and I sped past a stalled taxi whose driver I assume was busy looking for a HGV somewhere....

John
Yes I agree, but what I said it can be adapted for more rural area's.
I do find that most of the problems I get is with Pedestrians and not too much with cars.
The pedestrians just do hear you coming and my other danger is drivers with their window down just about to open their door as im passing.
I dont think you need a 114db horn for that. Its like the hammer on the nut.
Try dampering it down John and give it a try.
I find it works better and you can use it more than a massive blast.

Regards Bob.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Bob, do you have a photo? I just cant imagine what you mean :confused:

John

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Bob, do you have a photo? I just cant imagine what you mean :confused:

John
No, not to hand.
Get an old bike innertube and cut it to a 3inch length.
Fold it over and tightly place it into the entrance to the horn.
Then give it a try.
I suppose you could also place a piece of sponge into the horn.
This would also decrease the db of the horn as well.

"put a sock in it" as they used to say when people played their old gramaphone record players too loud in the garden on a summers day.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's an adjuster on the Airzound. Have a look at where the small air tube heads into the horn and you see a plastic key which can be turned to clamp the tube gradually. Using that you can get any degree of sound level you want. I used to run mine at about half level most of the time.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
There's an adjuster on the Airzound. Have a look at where the small air tube heads into the horn and you see a plastic key which can be turned to clamp the tube gradually. Using that you can get any degree of sound level you want. I used to run mine at about half level most of the time.
Yes, I tried this Tony, but it doesn't reaaly reduce the sound level that much though.

MorganMadplus8

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 25, 2008
Hereford
My wife had a similar problem whilst out cycling with her Powabyke. She was badly bitten in the back of the calf ( down to the bone ) and it seemed that the dog didn't like the sound of the motor. It was fortunate that a motorist was passing as the dog was just about to go for her face as she lay on the ground.:mad:

After E & A treatment and several weeks of pain it did heal up. The police were sympathetic but unless we could identify this sheep dog, and describe it in detail, they would take no action. Unfortunately there were two sheep dogs who lived in that area and when you are laying on the ground you dont take too much notice of what the dog looks like.

Neil

Hermann

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 9, 2008
If you want to be sure that you are able to defend yourself against dogs, there is only one real thing: pepper spray (Capsaicin, extract from chilli peppers). We used to carry it in Canada against the grizzly bears, and it helps against dogs as well. It is sold as "Dog repellent". I don´t know if it is legal in Britain. Don´t experiment with tear gas spray, it has no effect on a furious dog. Pepper spray is a serious weapon and you must be aware that it is painful for the dog (the pain goes away in a few minutes), but if the other option is to get bitten, I would know what to do.
Hermann