Bicycle deliveries make comeback

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
ambulance service in London use bikes and service has saved lives due to speed of response....saw it on TV yesterday.

what E bike is that?

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Really like the large-size trailer in the photo. Then read this in the above article link:

"Waitrose already runs a scheme in the city loaning out cycle trailers to customers to encourage them to take their shopping home by bike."

- WOW! I get my hands on one for free? The nearest to my home is 10 or 12 miles away. Depending on a) whether they roll the scheme out nationwide and b) How long you get to keep the trailer for, and don't have to return it within 24 hours - I'm up for it! Busy day tomorrow so will give the branch manager a bell on Friday.

- Well spotted Bob!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Waitrose woman is on a 2007 Gazelle Easy Rider, Panasonic motor with 8 Ah hour battery.

The City of London bicycle paramedics feature was on BBC TV yesterday, but I don't know why they were being announced since they've been operating in Central London and the West End for at least a year previously and other cities have them as well.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
The Waitrose woman is on a 2007 Gazelle Easy Rider, Panasonic motor with 8 Ah hour battery.

The City of London bicycle paramedics feature was on BBC TV yesterday, but I don't know why they were being announced since they've been operating in Central London and the West End for at least a year previously and other cities have them as well.
Just wondered if I can catch it on the bbc iplayer.
Was it on local tv?
What time?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Really like the large-size trailer in the photo. Then read this in the above article link:

"Waitrose already runs a scheme in the city loaning out cycle trailers to customers to encourage them to take their shopping home by bike."
Misunderstanding Danny, that one is one of their delivery ones, customers don't get them.

The ones that customers can use are the vertical little BikeHod jobs that hook up to the seat tube, like a rucksack on two wheels. The link below tells you all about the Waitrose scheme:

Customer Trailer Hire

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
Misunderstanding Danny, that one is one of their delivery ones, customers don't get them.

The ones that customers can use are the vertical little BikeHod jobs that hook up to the seat tube, like a rucksack on two wheels. The link below tells you all about the Waitrose scheme:

Customer Trailer Hire

Ahh the self-scanning set-up.
Think they've been doing that for a number of years as I once saw that TV science professor Adam Hart-Davies demonstrate it on an early evening consumer programme. At the time I thought the BikeHod trailer attached to his pink and yellow bike was his.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just wondered if I can catch it on the bbc iplayer.
Was it on local tv?
What time?
Here's some more info Bob. The first link is an NHS one about the bike paramedics and the second one tells more about them and shows the full kit with everything they carry:

Link 1

Link 2

We have them in Central London including the West End, and they are now in the City of London. Another team operate at Heathrow Airport.

Other cities with them include Liverpool and I believe Sheffield. There are more but I can't remember which offhand. There's a similar spread of well equipped police officers on bikes, and in London they often nick motorists too. Don't think that will improve driver's views on cyclists though. :D

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Here's some more info Bob. The first link is an NHS one about the bike paramedics and the second one tells more about them and shows the full kit with everything they carry:

Link 1

Link 2

We have them in Central London including the West End, and they are now in the City of London. Another team operate at Heathrow Airport.

Other cities with them include Liverpool and I believe Sheffield. There are more but I can't remember which offhand. There's a similar spread of well equipped police officers on bikes, and in London they often nick motorists too. Don't think that will improve driver's views on cyclists though. :D
Thanks again Tony.
Another bit of news.
York city council are putting 10 cycle rikshaw licences up for tender to start in the spring.
I go to York quite often and will take my camera to catch them.
Last time I went, I parked up my car for free in the city limits and cycled in for the day.
Its now £10 to park in York for the day, so will the money I saved I bought my lunch and a beer.

Last edited:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Ahh the self-scanning set-up.
Think they've been doing that for a number of years as I once saw that TV science professor Adam Hart-Davies demonstrate it on an early evening consumer programme. At the time I thought the BikeHod trailer attached to his pink and yellow bike was his.
Why dont you get one of these.
Their supercheap.

Cycle cargo utility trailers, box carriers, Bike care, Mission, Avenir Mule, Eco trailer, Spokey Joe

I've got one on my christmas list already.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
York city council are putting 10 cycle rikshaw licences up for tender to start in the spring.
There's about 350 of these in London now at the last count I saw, but Cambridge have now barred them due to the congestion they cause. That shouldn't happen in York since York Cycle Couriers for their goods deliveries already use the huge Cycles Maximus trikes which are rickshaw size.

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
There's about 350 of these in London now at the last count I saw, but Cambridge have now barred them due to the congestion they cause. That shouldn't happen in York since York Cycle Couriers for their goods deliveries already use the huge Cycles Maximus trikes which are rickshaw size.
I hope they have good suspension though as York has lots of cobbles.