Bigger front Ring

Paddi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
Hi,

im looking at moving to a bigger sprocket on the front , at the moment im basically sitting in the bottom 2 gears continuously on my Cube , but i think i could go for a bigger front front sprocket which would then open up some of the lower gears if needed and maybe take up a little of the wear and tear on the cassette...happy to swap chains and cassette when needed

i asked my LBS and they have quoted around £100 to do this , 20T front sprocket , new chain, labor (the cube/ bosch tech seemingly needs to login to change some settings as well),

has anyone else done this and could point me in the direction of parts etc... although if i do need the calibration carried out thats fine ...

paddi

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Paddi
I did this on my bosch powered scott emtb, but I went the other way from 17T to 15T, it was easy to do and tools required were Crank remover and spider tool to remove the securing nut.
On my bike the sprockets were about £12 each, I didnt need any software changes and everything worked fine. The spider and crank removal tools were my most expensive outlay but now I have them for the future, your bike may have one of the expensive off-set sprokets, although that seems unlikely as they are around £100 on their own.

Reactions: Paddi

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
As above
It’s an easy job
Buy the tools and you will definitely use them again
I went 15t to 18t on a Bosch cx
It’s all good

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
£100 for a 5 min job lol :eek:

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

Deno

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2018
Dublin
18T on mine on an 11-36T cassette - this spins out at 60kph. Changed it myself and would seriously question anyone trying to charge £100 for a 5min job and a sprocket that costs under a tenner. I have used FSA and Connex sprockets, the Connex seemed to fit better on the shaft. Bought from bike-discount.de.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
hi all,

thanks for the info , the calibration part was the thing that was the hanger for me , didn't want to do the work and then end up with error codes on the bike, thats why he said the cube engineer would need to do some work...but if no calibration needed great news..

i'm looking at the below :

20T chain-ring:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/wippermann-connex-e-bike-chainring-for-bosch-drive-z20-459966
or
18T chain-ring:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/wippermann-connex-e-bike-chainring-for-bosch-drive-z18-459962

Puller Tool:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/katana-puller-for-bosch-e-bike-lock-ring-locking-ring-800263

Grease:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverhook-SGPGT90-Silicone-Grease-Tube/dp/B00W6Q3B1G/ref=lp_1652051031_1_1?srs=1652051031&ie=UTF8&qid=1542357481&sr=8-1

what chain should i get ????

is the crank removal tool just the standard one fro any bike , have one of those already for my other MTB

is the above ok and have i missed anything out ...?

thanks

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I used the std crank puller.
Chain wise I dont bother with ebike specific ones and just buy whatever mainstream brand is on special offer at the time and change it regularly.
I use the park chain wear checker tool and change the chain when it gets to the second marker.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-CC-3-2-Chain-Indicator/dp/B000BR3LHQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542360682&sr=8-3&keywords=park+chain+checker
and use power link pliers to make the job easier..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Park-Tool-MLP-1-2-Master-Pliers-x/dp/B00D9NW32I/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1542360927&sr=1-1&keywords=Park+Tool+Master+Link+Pliers
As a novice bike mechanic I had some difficulty getting purchase to undo the spider nut, so I leave the chain on and the bike on the ground until I have done this.
This job is so easy that I take the sprocket off as part of the cleaning process..

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
20t is over top unless you have dongle.

The other plus of being able to remove chainring yourself is to service bearing seals on regular basis.

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
i was thinking the 20T would be a bit much and top out fairly quickly... what chain would in need , do i just go by the rear gears ( as in 11 speed).

i think i will have some of the other tools so hopefully not need anything else

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have 11spd then thats the chain you need tho you will also need a chain tool as it will be to long.

i have 18t and 20t dual sprockets on my bike but i have a dongle but the bigger at the front you go will make it harder once you reach cut of speed.

you can also get this kit for 18t and 15t but its expensive
http://www.speedup.bike/prodotto/corone/

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
i was thinking the 20T would be a bit much and top out fairly quickly... what chain would in need , do i just go by the rear gears ( as in 11 speed).

i think i will have some of the other tools so hopefully not need anything else
You can buy individual replacement gears for 11spd cassettes. These are for 4 smallest ones. With 15t chainring I use 3 and 4 at 25kmh cutoff, for commuting most of wear is on these 2 gears.

Consider replacing these 2 gears along with chain and chainring. Rest of cassette should last for quite a few chains unless you have lot of big hills.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You can buy individual replacement gears for 11spd cassettes. These are for 4 smallest ones. With 15t chainring I use 3 and 4 at 25kmh cutoff, for commuting most of wear is on these 2 gears.

Consider replacing these 2 gears along with chain and chainring. Rest of cassette should last for quite a few chains unless you have lot of big hills.
you not seen a sram 11-12spd cassette then there one piece or the cheaper ones are pined together. ;)

DSC_0095.JPG

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i know lol but i bet they cant do this:D

DSC_0110.JPG

its so quiet you wont believe it till u try it;)

Reactions: Fat Rat

Paddi

Oct 3, 2017
Scotland
thanks for all the info , think some of this may be on my xmas list and get round to it beggining of the year ... thanks again... got to say really loving the e-mtb, just so much fun to be had ... even got the wife one and she loves it ...
paddi

Reactions: E-Wheels

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
you just need the 10-50t on the rear ;)
I run 11spd 11-46 at the moment with 18 front and hardly ever use the lowest couple of cogs even on the steepest of off road climbs now
Nice if you need it thou

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0189_02.JPG

18-20t 10-50t im gone up down or on the flat :D:D

Related Articles

Advertisers