Bike Cameras

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
With technology improving all the time, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced bike-cam that works well ?

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I have an F9 Mini camera. Cost £40 including internal battery, charger, and various brackets. I've tested it many times and it seems to work really well. The battery life is around 1.5 hours continuous filming. For the money, it's brilliant.

Aushiker

Pedelecer
What is reasonably priced?
What do you want to do with the footage? For example do you want to capture number plates? Do you want to use it simply as a safety camera or as an action camera?
What sort of battery life do you need?
Also what operating system are you using? This comes into play if you want to edit the footage as some formats do not play nicely with Macs for example.

A good source of quality product reviews and advice is Techmoan. Worth taking a look to get started.

Andrew

Last edited:

Aushiker

Pedelecer
I have an F9 Mini camera. Cost £40 including internal battery, charger, and various brackets. I've tested it many times and it seems to work really well. The battery life is around 1.5 hours continuous filming. For the money, it's brilliant.
Techmoan didn't seem to impressed ...

I've nothing of note to add here - this is just a quick video about an unimpressive camera, and I'm sorry to say that despite this camera's mediocre performance, it's still probably the best of a bad bunch when it comes to cheap bullet-style helmet cameras (from the ones I've tested).
Andrew

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Anyone know of a camera that'll do 2 hours plus between recharges? That's what I'd need for commuting both ways. In my case, I'd been wanting it purely for safety purposes, so it'd have to be good enough to identify licence plates and faces at a reasonable distance.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I bought the Svc200, about a month ago, purely on the strength of Techmoan's claim that it's the best £100 action cam.

I'm delighted with it even though I had to buy a micro ST card as it comes with no memory whatever - Bit like me, really.

Battery's a standard removeable Nokia clone & mine lasts about 2 to 2 and a half hours: Found a spare in an old phone, so that was good.

Only downside I found is that the mounting is near the front of the camera body & allowed it to shake quite a bit when on the bike's bars - Sorted that with a bit of stainless angle, cut & bent + a soft rubber pad - Simples.

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Looks like a nice bit of kit, jackhandy. Personally, I could do without the screen though.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Looks like a nice bit of kit, jackhandy. Personally, I could do without the screen though.
Must admit I don't make much use of the screen, other than making changes to the settings - Much better than waiting til it's hooked-up to a computer.

What is a very useful feature, though, is the remote:
I keep mine attatched to the strap of my backpack & use it to take still photos while the camera's taking video.

I always use it in the waterproof case, too - Much rather replace that than destroy the camera, should it ever hit the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: axolotl

pdarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2013
Bradford
www.mybigdaydj.co.uk
Yup it's a bit pointless. It was heralded as making Bradford more bike friendly, but we have no bike lanes within a 2 mile radius of it. Plus the bridge they demolished to make way for it had just been declared as structurally sound for the next 15 years and had had a load of refurbishment work done to it! Oh well looks nice.