Bike for a short ar*e

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
I'm looking to buy another bike. Which would be suitable for my 27 inch inside leg? The last one I bought was a Kalkhoff Pro connect in 2013, it was not pleasant, due to its weight and size. I don't want a step through though. Any opinions, my budget is about £1500?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 33385

I'm looking to buy another bike. Which would be suitable for my 27 inch inside leg? The last one I bought was a Kalkhoff Pro connect in 2013, it was not pleasant, due to its weight and size. I don't want a step through though. Any opinions, my budget is about £1500?

It's a bit like suits, isn't it? If your particularly tall or short, you're better off going for tailor made. I think with an inside leg of 27", you're much better off buying a very good quality child's bike and getting it converted, or converting one yourself, because there are many advantages in doing so: pleasant to ride, more range, faster acceleration, because of the low weight. Parts might also be cheaper.

Last edited:

filsgreen

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2013
Litherland, Merseyside
Thanks for your advice guys. I've just this minute sold my Cube SL Road bike, because I don't want to convert it and bike shops won't touch conversions. So it's a case of buying an e-bike. I'm going to my local shop tomorrow to get their advice and try out what they have.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks for your advice guys. I've just this minute sold my Cube SL Road bike, because I don't want to convert it and bike shops won't touch conversions. So it's a case of buying an e-bike. I'm going to my local shop tomorrow to get their advice and try out what they have.
Conversions can be easier than one might assume - I just followed most of the instructions in this video:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which would be suitable for my 27 inch inside leg?
a folding bike? They usually have smaller wheels and saddle posts that can go down a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: pentiumofborg
D

Deleted member 33385

a folding bike? They usually have smaller wheels and saddle posts that can go down a lot.

Yes, the seat post on my Dahon Helios P8 would suit much shorter than 27" inner leg, and it goes up high enough for those up to 6ft 4"tall.

D

Deleted member 33385

Thanks guys, but I don't want a folding bike.
What about something like this, which was posted on another thread just now?

I think that a small person on a big bike looks sillier - a kid's bike would look in proportion.

Reactions: budsy

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
The older I get, the less I give a damn about what anyone thinks lol.
Exactly im same as worry just brings stress which is a silent killer .. i was the type of person yrs back who worried when i had nothing to worry about ..Nowadays i well i dont worry as much these days and age is much to do with that ...Plus experiences in life makes u a stronger character .
:) A wee tune for the worriers on here :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when im 65 thats how fast my mobility scooter will go and will add 1mph every year :p

if i get to 100 ill need a para shoot :cool:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I know if i was short in height id purchase a kids size bike if i liked the bike ok ..

As Pentium said does look rather silly with a short person on a tallish bike

same as a tall person on a short framed bike looks silly ..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the dwp try to stress me out and make ppl depressed on purpose but it does not work on me i just sit there and smile and say no to there bs and lies as have the foi request to prove it.

not heard a peep out of them since i took them to a tribunal i set up on purpose i got my work coach and floor manager sacked lmfao.

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/dwp-staff-admit-inflicting-psychological-harm-on-claimants-during-coalition-years/

i enjoyed that i did all that screaming and shouting to get a response i sat there and pointed out he was talking ******* and when the work programme ended and they found out i only went 1 day in 2 years and they lost there $hit and sent me a letter giving me a warning!

https://flic.kr/p/2eod4Re
i had 3 of them twats screaming at me saying i was going to be sent on it again and will have to do it this time but pointed out buy law you cant do it twice and even if it was the case im not signing there contract for funding purposes and data sharing.

D

Deleted member 33385

Soundwave at 100 yrs :D ..
I remember that ad! Oh yeah... that's what you're supposed to do...

Exactly im same as worry just brings stress which is a silent killer .. i was the type of person yrs back who worried when i had nothing to worry about ..Nowadays i well i dont worry as much these days and age is much to do with that ...Plus experiences in life makes u a stronger character .
So you're a stunt cylist, who also worries? Sounds like a bad combination to me... on the other hand: Not being scared of injury, is likely a big disadvantage when balancing your bike on railings, ledges and suchlike. I couldn't do that stuff - I went bungie jumping once. Fun, but a one-off!

Last edited:
  • :D

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I remember that ad! Oh yeah... that's what you're supposed to do...

So you're a stunt cylist, who also worries? Sounds like a bad combination to me... on the other hand: Not being scared of injury, is likely a big disadvantage when balancing your bike on railings, ledges and suchlike. I couldn't do that stuff - I went bungie jumping once. Fun, but a one-off!
Me a stunt cyclist no way lol .. I dont like heights for a start ...Stood looking across the Forth road bridge when cycling , stopped and looking down to the river forth and height like from any bridge i just felt not for me wheezy scarey as if going to go dizzy feeling and so no heights aint for me lol ...Im the sort who pays attention on the roads and allow cars vans etc to get their way if need be ..as they are King of the road although i admit u do get some right idiots who shouldnt be behind a wheel of a motor... have been through all that when on a bicycle also ..road rage for no reason ..recall once going to a quiet ish roundabout at time was quiet and so i still check right of me , no cars coming and so turned left and stayed tight to my left and then from no where a car comes around on my right side and some idiot bawling whatever obscenities towards me ..i just gave him the finger salute as i had not been going fast as came to a stop to check and then when ok i turned left and stayed tightly beside curb by the pavement and then this crap ^ .. Had a similar experience at a roundabout before once also ..I normally do always if traffic is turning stick my arm out as to where im going to let traffic know ..but when very busy i stay away from roundabouts and walk as only takes one nutter in a car to hit into you through road rage or just acting over quickly as they do many in cars just think theyre in a race to get going and this can kill ..Why not when so busy take an extra 2 / 3 secs then move on ..all seem to be in such a rush as if in a race against time ..Country side is best for a bike but we also have to negotiate busy parts when out on the town or city
although them busiest parts are best avoided or just walk to where safer and then carry on ..

Last edited:

Liz

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I know if i was short in height id purchase a kids size bike if i liked the bike ok ..

As Pentium said does look rather silly with a short person on a tallish bike

same as a tall person on a short framed bike looks silly ..
In theory you have a good idea with the child's size bike, but in practice, and for most underheight people, the 'child's bike' idea isn't likely to be as useful as most people might think - or as we shorties ourselves often hope!
The problem is that adults - whatever their height - are of different general proportions and weight distribution to children. Also, an adult of the same height as a child will usually weigh considerably more - from bone and muscle mass alone, even if there's no factor of overweight - than a child. So a child's bike could present just as many fitting and comfort problems as an over-large adult one, with the additional issue of possibly exceeding a lower weight limit/invalidating a warranty, especially if the rider is sturdily built and wants to carry the weekly shop or camping etc gear.