Bike for a taller lady

Dangermouse

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Hubby and I have decided to get electric bikes and as usual he has plenty to choose from whereas I'm really struggling due to my long legs :(.

I currently have a men's Specialized Sirrus size XL - what I've learned from that is that a) I don't like having to swing my leg over the back of the bike, b) although it fits in the leg department, its just not that comfy in terms of reach (even with a shorter stem), and c) I definitely need to try it out before buying so I'm not buying something online which I can't try out beforehand.

So I'm looking for a stepthrough suitable for someone with a 36" inside leg (budget upto £2k) with a decent range taking into account . A local bike shop have suggested to try a large Scott E-Sub Active Unisex, they reckon the Raleigh Captus/Motus will be too small. Are there any others out there I should be looking at? Bonus points if they come in a colour other than black or grey ;)

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to find something below 20kg (which is what the bike carrier on the roof of the car is rated for), but I do need to stay under 25kg as it will need to go on a motorhome cycle carrier.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a conversion may be a better solution.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There are plenty of bikes for taller ladies in the Netherlands and Germany, you may need to look online. Winora springs to mind, I know they have large stepthroughs.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Who else complains about your long legs?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hubby and I have decided to get electric bikes and as usual he has plenty to choose from whereas I'm really struggling due to my long legs :(.

I currently have a men's Specialized Sirrus size XL - what I've learned from that is that a) I don't like having to swing my leg over the back of the bike, b) although it fits in the leg department, its just not that comfy in terms of reach (even with a shorter stem), and c) I definitely need to try it out before buying so I'm not buying something online which I can't try out beforehand.

So I'm looking for a stepthrough suitable for someone with a 36" inside leg (budget upto £2k) with a decent range taking into account . A local bike shop have suggested to try a large Scott E-Sub Active Unisex, they reckon the Raleigh Captus/Motus will be too small. Are there any others out there I should be looking at? Bonus points if they come in a colour other than black or grey ;)

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that I'm probably not going to find something below 20kg (which is what the bike carrier on the roof of the car is rated for), but I do need to stay under 25kg as it will need to go on a motorhome cycle carrier.
.. I am male, with 31 32 inch leg and the Motus fitsme ok , I have just checked and there is easily another 4 inches in the seat post. .. and this without it getting dangerously close to the clamp.It is a very big bike. . There is plenty of adjustment on the height and rake of the handlebars also. So I find it hard to accept the advice you were given.
If it does not actually work then Dutch adults are tall so there would surely models in their ranges suitable. It might mean a special import, so get your skates on while you can.
I don't know it for a fact but the Motus looks very similar to the winora stepthrough so they could share an identical frame
I wish you luck in trying to put an ebike on a roof rack... Don't go there would be my advice. Search on the forums for advice on lower mounted racks.

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Thanks all for your helpful hints and tips - you've given me lots of new avenues to investigate. One thing I forgot to mention in my OP is that I'd really prefer a crank drive rather than a hub - pretty much everything I've read says that they are better on hills, and its hills in particular that I really want the ebike for (cycling on the flat isn't a problem at all - I can keep going all day, but I really struggle on hills). I'm not looking to buy until the end of the year, so I've plenty of time to look at options and hopefully try out a few before making a decision.

I use a handlebar riser to fix that issue. Perhaps it will also work for you. Good luck in finding the right bike. :)
Thanks, yes that's always an option. I have a shorter stem on my current bike (can't remember now why I didn't go for a riser one) and it something to bear in mind.

There are plenty of bikes for taller ladies in the Netherlands and Germany, you may need to look online. Winora springs to mind, I know they have large stepthroughs.
Thanks, I'll have a look at them to see if anything looks promising. I really want to try before I buy though....I can't afford £2k on a bike that might not be the right one. We'll be going on holiday to Germany in a few week's time so I'll keep an eye out for any ebike shops, or maybe see if I can hire one for a day.

Thanks - I like the look of the Giant. There seems to be some confusion whether its a hub or crank motor though. Your link says central motor, but the Giant website says front hub?

.. I am male, with 31 32 inch leg and the Motus fitsme ok , I have just checked and there is easily another 4 inches in the seat post. .. and this without it getting dangerously close to the clamp.It is a very big bike. . There is plenty of adjustment on the height and rake of the handlebars also. So I find it hard to accept the advice you were given.
Interesting (and very useful - thanks!). To be fair on the bike shop guy, I was talking to him at a stand at an outside event and they only had a small Captus on display there so he was kind of working from memory. I'd definitely want to visit try the large one to see how high it goes (and whether a longer seat tube would work) before making any kind of decision.

I wish you luck in trying to put an ebike on a roof rack... Don't go there would be my advice. Search on the forums for advice on lower mounted racks.
LOL Hubby is convinced that he could lift them up there....I'm not so sure, but who am I to tell him what he can and can't lift :p To be honest, we've hardly used the roof rack in recent years so its pretty low down on the list of considerations, its more important that they fit on the motorhome!

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks all for your helpful hints and tips - you've given me lots of new avenues to investigate. One thing I forgot to mention in my OP is that I'd really prefer a crank drive rather than a hub - pretty much everything I've read says that they are better on hills, and its hills in particular that I really want the ebike for (cycling on the flat isn't a problem at all - I can keep going all day, but I really struggle on hills). I'm not looking to buy until the end of the year, so I've plenty of time to look at options and hopefully try out a few before making a decision.

Thanks, yes that's always an option. I have a shorter stem on my current bike (can't remember now why I didn't go for a riser one) and it something to bear in mind.

Thanks, I'll have a look at them to see if anything looks promising. I really want to try before I buy though....I can't afford £2k on a bike that might not be the right one. We'll be going on holiday to Germany in a few week's time so I'll keep an eye out for any ebike shops, or maybe see if I can hire one for a day.

Thanks - I like the look of the Giant. There seems to be some confusion whether its a hub or crank motor though. Your link says central motor, but the Giant website says front hub?

Interesting (and very useful - thanks!). To be fair on the bike shop guy, I was talking to him at a stand at an outside event and they only had a small Captus on display there so he was kind of working from memory. I'd definitely want to visit try the large one to see how high it goes (and whether a longer seat tube would work) before making any kind of decision.

LOL Hubby is convinced that he could lift them up there....I'm not so sure, but who am I to tell him what he can and can't lift :p To be honest, we've hardly used the roof rack in recent years so its pretty low down on the list of considerations, its more important that they fit on the motorhome!
... I would agree with the centre crank motor and the Bosch drive as on the Motus is a very refined version of one. The ability to climb hills with ease, particularly on turbo assist, is great. While the Motus has 10 speeds , I have rarely if ever been in the lowest one
.... I suspect that the racks on motorhomes are more robust than those on cars, and if , as should be done, the battery packs are removed, you should be ok putting two ebikes, of a Motus weight on such a rack.

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The problem with roof racks is water can be driven into electrics. Plus there is the danger of forgetting they are on roof when entering carpark buildings, a every expensive mistake made by a lot of drivers.

There should be a huge range of ebikes in Germany to choose from. Besides Bosch, Shimani Steps is also worth trying, nice drive and biked tend to be cheaper.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Dangermouse, the trouble with a large frame step through is that it can in certain circumstances feel a little spongy. A lower top tube may be a good compromise. But if you are certain you'd like a step through then given your dimensions it may make sense to consider bikes designed for Dutch riders. This Gazelle can come in large sizes and it has very versatile adjustable stem allowing you to find a comfortable setting without a single tool: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/Gazelle-E-Bikes/Orange-C7plus-HMB

There are more Gazelle models with a few more interesting colours if you have a look. They aren't the lightest but are built for comfort and low maintenance.

This Cube comes in a similar style without hub gears and fully enclosed transmission so it's a wee bit lighter: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/TOURING-HYBRID-400 ?search=CUBE touring HYBRID

We have stores in Oxford or Bristol which may be too far for you but they will have plenty of demonstrators. And great deals for pedelec members.

Whatever you decide - enjoy the ride - ebikes are amazing!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
I have a 36" inside leg and have the gents version of one of these:
https://www.whyte.bike/coniston-womens

Lovely well balanced bike - good for us long legged folk.

Crank drive and a bit of pink on it for bonus points:D

Gaz
That's a nice looking bike and its really light too! :) The L seat tube is only 50cm which is possibly on the short side (current bike is 57cm), but could possibly be overcome with a longer seat post and a riser stem - though its all extra £££ considering the bike is already slightly over budget. I'll put it on the list to check out tho.

Reactions: Gaz

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Hi Dangermouse, the trouble with a large frame step through is that it can in certain circumstances feel a little spongy. A lower top tube may be a good compromise. But if you are certain you'd like a step through then given your dimensions it may make sense to consider bikes designed for Dutch riders. This Gazelle can come in large sizes and it has very versatile adjustable stem allowing you to find a comfortable setting without a single tool: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/Gazelle-E-Bikes/Orange-C7plus-HMB

There are more Gazelle models with a few more interesting colours if you have a look. They aren't the lightest but are built for comfort and low maintenance.

This Cube comes in a similar style without hub gears and fully enclosed transmission so it's a wee bit lighter: https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/TOURING-HYBRID-400 ?search=CUBE touring HYBRID

We have stores in Oxford or Bristol which may be too far for you but they will have plenty of demonstrators. And great deals for pedelec members.

Whatever you decide - enjoy the ride - ebikes are amazing!
Its a good point about the flexibility of the stepthrough frame - I guess the larger the bike, the more it becomes an issue. I'd be foolish not to consider the lower top tube frames too - basically I just want to be able to mount the bike without having to swing my leg over the back (I always have a bag on there so I sometimes catch it....which can get messy LOL).

I already spotted that Gazelle and have it on the list to check out further - luckily there's a localish bike shop that has them to test ride. The Cube also looks interesting thanks!

Oxford and Bristol are a bit far for a normal shopping day - but I actually already have your Oxford shop saved on Google maps as we'll probably be visiting Oxford for a weekend later in the year.;)

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
something like the Woosh Crusa? It has a 36V 13AH battery (468WH), range about 40 miles.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not really that keen on 26" wheels, and I'm pretty set on a crank drive I think.
Really good to see how a bike can fit a range of sizes though...it gives me hope that I'll find something to fit :)

Dangermouse

Mar 26, 2017
Hampshire
Being a systematic person, I've been trying to come up with a list of things to consider - have I forgotten anything?

Size
- obviously it needs to fit, but a longer seatpost and/or a riser step could make a slightly small bike fit. I've just measured my current bike: its has a 57cm seat tube and I have an extra 15cm of seat post showing below the saddle.
Price - ideally max £2k, including any extras needed to make it fit
Weight - the lighter the better, but realistically just needs to be under 25kg
Style - stepthrough or lower top tube? I guess this is where I need to test ride both styles to see what feels best. I expect Stepthrough will be a more upright comfy ride, whereas the ones with a lower top tube will be more rugged. We mostly cycle on the road but do very occasionally take canal towpaths....I wonder how a dutch style bike would cope with those? Maybe I need to sacrifice a little comfort for flexibility.
Battery - ideally 400wh minimum. Positioning is not something I'd thought about before, but I've read a few things that suggest having it more central means a better balanced bike, so maybe this should be a consideration too?
Brakes - I'd prefer discs, but I guess rim would be ok so long as they're hydraulic?

Non-negotiables: crank motor, 700c wheels, mudguards (or room to fit them), rear rack (or fixings to fit one)

Wow its a long list! Glad I started looking into this early LOL

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Being a systematic person, I've been trying to come up with a list of things to consider - have I forgotten anything?

Size
- obviously it needs to fit, but a longer seatpost and/or a riser step could make a slightly small bike fit. I've just measured my current bike: its has a 57cm seat tube and I have an extra 15cm of seat post showing below the saddle.
Price - ideally max £2k, including any extras needed to make it fit
Weight - the lighter the better, but realistically just needs to be under 25kg
Style - stepthrough or lower top tube? I guess this is where I need to test ride both styles to see what feels best. I expect Stepthrough will be a more upright comfy ride, whereas the ones with a lower top tube will be more rugged. We mostly cycle on the road but do very occasionally take canal towpaths....I wonder how a dutch style bike would cope with those? Maybe I need to sacrifice a little comfort for flexibility.
Battery - ideally 400wh minimum. Positioning is not something I'd thought about before, but I've read a few things that suggest having it more central means a better balanced bike, so maybe this should be a consideration too?
Brakes - I'd prefer discs, but I guess rim would be ok so long as they're hydraulic?

Non-negotiables: crank motor, 700c wheels, mudguards (or room to fit them), rear rack (or fixings to fit one)

Wow its a long list! Glad I started looking into this early LOL
.... I m starting to sound like a cracked record but the Motus meets all of the above. I would not be concerned about flexing on the single tubed step through... That is the model I have, the argument about flexing is more theoretical than real. A twin tubed bike will be lighter, not stronger as all these bikes must meet safety standards.
The Motus and similar dutch style are excellent on tarmac , cement and gravel, and ok on short grass , . They are not mountain bikes so comfort trump's performance. They are designed as sturdy, reliable road transport and come with all the accessories needed Inc lights carrier mudguards and locks.