Bike kits

Moon2

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a bike kit for converting a Revolution Trailfinder '12 (Pretty much same as the new '13 model).

I'm about 73kg, weight goes up to 85-90 with stuff in backpack.

I've been looking at 8Fun's 250W 26" front wheel conversion kit, BMSbattery kit and ebay ones as well, but not really sure which one to go for, looking preferably for one with a rear mounted battery if not, a bottle type. Also, does anyone know how much the BMS kit would cost roughly to be delivered?

Also, I'm a newbie, I've looked at the forums here, but can't quite decide - front or rear wheel?

8Fun Kit:
http://www.8funbike.com/detail.asp/sku=EK26F36R

BMS Kit:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/ebike-kits/574-bafang-250watts-front-driving-qswxk-motor-e-bike-kit.html

revolution-trailfinder-13.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Delivery for that kit will be $160 - $200(USD) from BMS (Depending on courier/Timescale) according to my logon. You will probably get stung for import duty and VAT, allow another £50 (GBP) or so.

Front or rear? Depends, and opinion varies but I've done a few of each, and front is easier. That said, if you are already proficient with bike mechanics, rear is not hard, just takes a bit more time messing with cassettes/freewheels.

That bike looks to have steel forks, so you can choose either at 250 watts.
As for performance, I'm assuming you want it for road use, where it makes little difference.

Bottle or rack battery: You will need to be sure you have enough space in the triangle for a bottle battery, but if you can fit it there, then you have better weight distribution. You are limited to about 10ah currently with a bottle battery, which also means about 10a. With a rack battery you can go up to about 20ah and, depending on battery, 20a. Since this is the most expensive part, its worth considering carefully exactly what you require.

Hope that helps

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Also, I'm a newbie, I've looked at the forums here, but can't quite decide - front or rear wheel?
A front hub motor wheel puncture is easier to repair on the road than a rear wheel hub motor puncture.
Also have you considered a cyclotricity kit? You can get an lcd display instead of the LED.

Moon2

Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm happy with a 10ah battery since I will probably mainly use pedal assist, I just need a boost on hills.

I have looked at the cyclotricity kit but it comes out quite a bit more and I was just thinking of getting a separate cycle computer at some point after the build. I think it came round to about £500.

Are there any negatives in buying from BMS other than it coming from china and not locally?

Also, they've got quite a few kits, any recommended?

D

Deleted member 4366

You should only buy your kit from China if you need something special like light-weight, extra speed, power, cassette motor or big battery because the price difference isn't enough compared with the downside if things go wrong. It's not possible to recommend anything without knowing your special requirements. The stuff from 8Funike and Cyclotricity is tried and tested, and it's been around for a long time. I'd recommend the LED display so that you have a choice of PAS levels, which makes the 8Funbike kit marginally cheaper. Only the Cyclotricity kit has the LCD.

I'm talking about budget kits here. There's loads of other kits in the UK that give more at a higher price.

Moon2

Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
Thanks, I'd just like to spend as little as possible, since I have no real income - Student :'( which is why I'm considering the chinese stuff which I would not normally think of buying.

Do 8Fun have good customer service? does anyone know how they'd respond if something failed in the first year like the hub motor or the battery?

Also, one for the future, when the battery goes after a few years, are the BMS batteries of good quality to use as a replacement?

D

Deleted member 4366

8Funbike are fairly good with customer service, If your motor failed after a couple of months, I think they'd be helpful, but I don't know about 11 months. If the motor were faulty, it would fail fairly soon. If it failed after 6 months, it would most likely be from customer abuse.

I wouldn't worry too much about replacement batteries etc just now. In two or three years time, options for replacement will be completely different.

Moon2

Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
Thanks, think I might go for the 8Fun. Is the pedelec sensor hard to install? I don't know if I've been reading the old posts but do I remove both sides of the crankset to install it, or just the non-drive side?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks, think I might go for the 8Fun. Is the pedelec sensor hard to install? I don't know if I've been reading the old posts but do I remove both sides of the crankset to install it, or just the non-drive side?
It depends on what type of BB you have and how/where you want to install the sensor. Generally, you have to remove everything. If you have loose or caged balls, it would be a good chance to upgrade to a cartridge type for about £10. You need a gap of at least 5mm between your crank and BB on one side or the other to fit it, otherwise you'd need a longer BB. You also need the crank removal tool and the BB tool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Bicycle-Wheel-Puller-Crank-Extractor-Bottom-Bracket-Repair-Remover-Tool-Set-/370972002163?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item565fa78773

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have one of those. I used the spanner as a shim for something. It was ok for that, but nothing else. The tool itself has held up to some serious abuse, with two badly stuck cranks. Had to use blow torch on both, and hammer on a 12 inch spanner.

But you also need a BB removal tool....

Moon2

Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
Ok, thanks for advice guys, just bought the tools.

PS. what are people's thoughts on the bike in general and maybe compared to a cyclamatic power plus or other electric bikes?

D

Deleted member 4366

The bike is nothing special. Some of the cheaper 36v ready-made ebikes are about the same, but they often have disc brakes, which are better. It wouldn't make sense to buy your bike new and add a asic kit, which would cost about £650 total, but if you already had the bike, or got it cheap second hand, why not convert it?

Moon2

Jan 19, 2014
Guildford
I actually planned on just getting a cyclamatic, then thought of using the kit on my current bike (the one above) which I bought new about 8 months ago.

I like the idea of a 36v and also having all my 18 gears, am I right in thinking that this set up is waay better than a cyclamatic?

Also, had a quick look at the gap and looks like there's about 5-6mm gap.

Where is the controller located in the 8Fun example bike they show? is it in with the battery?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I actually planned on just getting a cyclamatic, then thought of using the kit on my current bike (the one above) which I bought new about 8 months ago.

I like the idea of a 36v and also having all my 18 gears, am I right in thinking that this set up is waay better than a cyclamatic?

Also, had a quick look at the gap and looks like there's about 5-6mm gap.

Where is the controller located in the 8Fun example bike they show? is it in with the battery?
You'll have more power than a Cyclamatic and hopefully forks that don't clatter when you go over a bump. They give you a box to put the controller in that clamps to the seat tube.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
eBay can come up with a bargain bike Other second hand sites available

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I fitted the 8fun kit last September to my Carrera hybrid and I've been very happy with it. It was easy to fit and it seems a pretty robust kit. Time will tell how reliable it will be, but I have no reason to pick fault with it yet.
I've not fitted the pedelec sensor and prefer just having the thumb throttle to give a boost as and when I need it. It keeps the kit simple with less wiring as well and to further keep it simple I disregarded the brake cut out switches. I don't feel they're needed on a legal low power kit like this.