bike locks

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
Can I ask what kind of locks people have for locking the bike to something when out and about? I've got the D lock and a chain, the chain one is probably the best but the weight of its is ridiculous, I only take it if I'm planning on leaving the bike. But, it's probably not one of my better decisions really because if anything happened to the bike and I had to leave it then I'm going to be well and truly stuffed, lol.

Fin

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
There was a piece on TV recently looking at the security of bike locks. Basically go for the best you can afford/that your insurer insists on, but be aware none of those tested could withstand a battery powered angle grinder for more than a few seconds. The suggestion was to fit 2 locks which would double the time for the angle grinder wielding thief and hopefully mean he goes for someone elses bike!

I am going to get one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-series-4-u-lock-with-flexframe-bracket/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=DC&utm_campaign=UK_Manufacturer_DC_Kryptonite&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=mkwid|spOzvtQq5_dc|pcrid|77082675792|pkw|+kryptonite +evolution +series +4 +u-lock|pmt|b|prd|

Kendalian

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Can I ask what kind of locks people have for locking the bike to something when out and about? I've got the D lock and a chain, the chain one is probably the best but the weight of its is ridiculous, I only take it if I'm planning on leaving the bike. But, it's probably not one of my better decisions really because if anything happened to the bike and I had to leave it then I'm going to be well and truly stuffed, lol.

Fin
https://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Folding-locks/BORDO-Black-Edition-GRANIT-X-Plus-6510

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Fin and LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

Fin
It's an ebike. They're known to be expensive and, hence, very nickable. Where would you be leaving it?

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
It's an ebike. They're known to be expensive and, hence, very nickable. Where would you be leaving it?
i only tend to leave it at shopping parks, then I'm around the shops like a rocket, but I worry about it, I'm aware they're very nickable, plus you don't see too many of them around here. I was out the other day and seen a lovely little coffee shop, I didn't have the chain with me so just went past. The chain I have weighs a ton, so I thought I'd look into something lighter.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
My best advice I can give is to get a quality chain,hardned,slip a bit of old inner tube over it, this is for two reasons ,one it protects the frame,two it offers some protection against attack, not much,bit it can frustrate.!
Also ,buy a abacus disk lock, or any disk lock , these generally round and made of stainless ,it's close fitting hasp,prevents prying,and the lock is protected against attack by drills, don't get a padlock that had a long or wide hasp, it's very easy to break with pry bars, or even a couple of stout open ended spanners.
This advice was given by a police vetted locksmith, I was stunned at how easy it is to break cheap locks with the spanners! I day cheap, the video was a reputable brand.
In the end of somebody wants your bike badly , you're going to lose it

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Fin and LeighPing

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
The problem with those case hardned locks is they allow the use of force to break the lock, thieves use a spray to freeze it ,then a well aimed blow from a hammer or Pry bars break the lock ,by using a chain you can lock it tightly with a discus lock, leaving just attack by single grinders, they are not impervious, bit will often survive.

• Agree
Reactions: Fin

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Ex bike thief admitted on TV that no lock bothers them. One trick they use is to pour superglue into the lock so owner has to leave bike. They then come back with grinder when it's quiet. Most insurance companies insist bike is locked securely to post using silver or gold rated D-Lock. Check your insurance small print.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree

falmouthtony

Esteemed Pedelecer
If you feel you can afford £56 for a sold secure gold rated lock...you wear these as a belt which surprisingly, at 2.5 kilos, you hardly feel as a belt.
I've got one and use it a fair bit if i'm leaving the bike for a while.
It's only 85cm long though so you need to consider that.

http://www.pedal-pedal.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/5430

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
If you feel you can afford £56 for a sold secure gold rated lock...you wear these as a belt which surprisingly, at 2.5 kilos, you hardly feel as a belt.

I wear my lock 'outfit' around my neck, makes look like a dangerous dog, ( maybe am )

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
I reckont the more a bike is locked up the more likely it is to be pinched. It's a challenge for some. See a bike unlocked and they think there may be a reason. Maybe it's alarmed. Maybe under surveillance. I woudn't suggest you try it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle

This one is gold rated, it weighs 2 kilos, looks like a decent lock comes with a hell of a weight, lol