bike storage at front off property

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Im moving soon and wont have a decent access to rear garden. i was going to build a bike shed in front garden which is 70×42ft. But found out this requires planning permision. I have an old 4 berth caravan. Ive given up using and its only worth a few quid for parts. Im think to take wheel off chain chassis down. Hinge a frame to save space and fit double doors on back and use that. I can then fit a cover over it. Would probable store the familys bikes quite well. I have checked the deads and caravans trailers are aloud. Any other surgestions lol

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
You are on the right lines, it's a much needed change to planning, but for now a trailer or caravan that is potentially movable is the answer. Just remember to beef up the security.

John

Reactions: robert1976

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You have to leave the wheels on the caravan though, or it will no longer be considered a caravan.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Im moving soon and wont have a decent access to rear garden. i was going to build a bike shed in front garden which is 70×42ft. But found out this requires planning permision. I have an old 4 berth caravan. Ive given up using and its only worth a few quid for parts. Im think to take wheel off chain chassis down. Hinge a frame to save space and fit double doors on back and use that. I can then fit a cover over it. Would probable store the familys bikes quite well. I have checked the deads and caravans trailers are aloud. Any other surgestions lol
ill be lining inside fitting wirless alarm and cctv with wifi to phone alert. wheels off and detatable a frame. chassis ankered should make it pretty sucure. Its nice private road to :)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Generally if it's not got foundations it's considered a temporary building. Someone over the road from me has a 1/2 size insulated container. Needs a crane to pick it up but it doesn't need planning. However each council has it's own local interpretations, so it's worth checking.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, some permit a container as a temporary building, but that often doesn't have permanence as a nearby home found out what the council insisted on it going when the period went over a year.

The "wheels on" rule is for it to be there as a caravan. They don't even have to be touching the ground as there are many examples up on blocks or piers with the wheels clear of the ground. It just has to be ready to roll.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Yes, some permit a container as a temporary building, but that often doesn't have permanence as a nearby home found out what the council insisted on it going when the period went over a year.

The "wheels on" rule is for it to be there as a caravan. They don't even have to be touching the ground as there are many examples up on blocks or piers with the wheels clear of the ground. It just has to be ready to roll.
thing is i want it as low as posible as biikes will be in daily use. Well except sundays lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thing is i want it as low as posible as biikes will be in daily use. Well except sundays lol
I think you'll have to check with the council's planning department Robert. They can be quite strict about their rules, so better safe than sorry.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Generally if it's not got foundations it's considered a temporary building. Someone over the road from me has a 1/2 size insulated container. Needs a crane to pick it up but it doesn't need planning. However each council has it's own local interpretations, so it's worth checking.
we would need tempary to have anthing like that. i might apply for council to do an lpo. Which woul allow storage shed. But that will take time xx

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
You won't get planning consent for it as it is in front of the building line.

Get a horse box or for less height a sheep box, secure it as you would a caravan.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do think your only chance is the caravan still on it's wheels. You could jack up the front so the rear where the doors will be is closer to the ground to allow easier entry, That plus a mini-ramp would make it easy to wheel a bike in.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Dig the wheels into the ground if possible to lower it.
That's something that Kevin Mcloud (he of Grand Designs) did in a field somewhere. He got an old gypsy style caravan and put it in a trench, you couldn't even see them, but it still had wheels, so it was mobile. Sometimes ya just gotta love stupid bureaurocratic pedantry:D

Advertisers