Help! Bike suddenly stopped working, Motor clicking

jakog123

Just Joined
Apr 8, 2021
Hi,
I am helping someone repair their ebike which is a copy of a Stealth Bomber. He was riding it, turned into some wind(likely not relevant) and it suddenly cut out. The screen turns on, all the modes work but when you twist the throttle the motor just does a single click! Not an issue I have come across before so a bit stuck!

Does not have a pedal assist function.
any help much appreciated!
Cheers

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a very common problem, but can have a few different causes. The first thing to check is all the motor connectors. if it has the 9-pin type of connector, it must be all the way in to the marked line, not just in tight.

After that, you have to test the hall sensors in the motor and the mosfets in the controller. You need to show us the controller and all its wires if you want instructions on how dto do that.

The controller fires timed pulses of power at the motor. The hall sensors tell it when to fire, so if there's any problem with the halls or their connection, the timing will be wrong and the motor won't turn.

There are three sets of coils in the motor. The pulses have to go through all three for the motor to work. If a mosfet fails, you get no pulses down one set (phase).

Do not operate the throttle or PAS on full power nor for any length of time. Whatever the cause, the good phases of the controller will still be firing pulses of power at the motor, which is the clicking you hear. When that power can't turn the motor, it tries to destroy something like any remaining mosfets, or it can burn out the motor.

jakog123

Just Joined
Apr 8, 2021
Thanks that's a lot of help. Ill take some pictures of the controller when I get home! Hope fully he has not held the throttle open for to long when he was looking at it himself!

Cheers

Advertisers