Bike wont go Faster Than 20mph on down hill.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Today I GPS tested the bike on a long 14% Gradient down hill .
Bike is a fun2rid e-ped limited to 15.5mph.
Wondering if my Motor is holding it back ??? Surely down a hill like this I should be hitting nearer 25-30mph.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Wondering if my Motor is holding it back ??? Surely down a hill like this I should be hitting nearer 25-30mph.
Have you checked for brake rub and correct tyre pressure?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure if your bike has a direct drive motor, it looks as though it might have in the photos. With no internal freewheel those start to try to generate at speed which acts to stop further speed gain after a fixed degree of speed increase.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If it's one of these, then it does look like a DD motor:

Electric Fun2ride Scooter

As flecc suggests, the motor might be acting like a generator at speed.
Small wheels compound the problem, as they spin the motor faster at any given road speed.

The bike might also have a energy regeneration feature too, which would cause further resistance. For heaven's sake, don't run out of go-go juice :eek:

Last edited:

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for input. I don't believe its regenerative as this is normally only on high end bikes ? Nothing in description says that it is. I believe it is a high brake model don't know if this would cause this behaviour.
Tyre pressures spot on and no brake rub Ta..
I just had a really silly Idea I hit the hill with Cruise control on maximum throttle could this cause issue. lol
Order a second battery so have extra distance ;).

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If it's a DD motor then regenerate is sort of part of the package. If its a geared motor, it could be a stuck clutch, which could also cause it to regenerate.

Either way, repeat the downhill section with the motor disconnected.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
that bike has a DD motor. The cogging of the motor slows it down a bit like flecc said. Still, if you are on a steep descent, I would still expect to see it go a bit faster than 15mph, possibly 22-23mph.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
that bike has a DD motor. The cogging of the motor slows it down a bit like flecc said. Still, if you are on a steep descent, I would still expect to see it go a bit faster than 15mph, possibly 22-23 mph.
Hit 21 for a miler second. But held steady at 20 mph.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
If it's a DD motor then regenerate is sort of part of the package. If its a geared motor, it could be a stuck clutch, which could also cause it to regenerate.

Either way, repeat the downhill section with the motor disconnected.
Not shore how I would do that Just ride it with ignition off ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hit 21 for a miler second. But held steady at 20 mph.
You're stuck with that maximum I'm afraid, it's normal. A direct drive motor running near to a design limit will regenerate current whether wired to do that or not. All electric motors do, but internally geared ones have internal freewheels that disconnect the motor. Since your DD motor is an integral part of the wheel, it cannot disconnect.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
You're stuck with that maximum I'm afraid, it's normal. A direct drive motor running near to a design limit will regenerate current whether wired to do that or not. All electric motors do, but internally geared ones have internal freewheels that disconnect the motor. Since your DD motor is an integral part of the wheel, it cannot disconnect.
great thanks for info. its not an issue just confused me as when sold said you can go faster than 15 mph if want not that i can pedal fast enough even at 15 mph peddling i can only get to 13 mph lol cog ratios prevent it.

Advertisers