Bionx battery question

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Guys,
No matter how much i try i always end up back here :rolleyes: Yep my knee has gone again, but this time its really playing up. I might now have to accept that i need an electric bike as a standby or in this case full time.

Ok onto the question, today i cycled to work and me knee was so bad i was on 3-4 assist all the way and the battery was completely exhausted the last mile, it was just assisting at a very low level and all the warning signs were flashing. I know this is supposed to not ve good, but i have no choice, so what effect can i expect to see if i keep this up long term?

Thanks

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
bionX battery on sale on london Gumtree

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
My system is the 40.7V system so they are no good, but you would be mad to pay uk prices. A quick google around and i can get the 37V 10A/Hr RR battery for 650 euros so just over 540 pound. The same battery here is over 1K so if it comes to it i will buy the battery. But i'm also getting bored of the Trek so might pull the kit off it and fit it onto something else.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That usage all the time will shorten the life of the battery, how much depending on it's quality. If a BionX battery it may not be too severe. With the cheapest batteries up to 35% of the life could be lost.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hopefully it will not be for too long but as for now i will just need to take the hit. Also keep in mind that the battery is coming up on two years old and as yet shows no drop in capacity, but i have a feeling that this might be too much for it, time will tell i guess.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
so if the battery has not lost any capacity what is the range?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi eddieo, How long is a piece of string, my commute is pretty hilly at both ends but level for 15 miles in between, if i use a mixture of 1 and 2 assist i can easily get 25+miles, this is equivalent to a gentle shove in the back. With use of level 3 which is a pretty hefty help this can drop to 18 miles and if as now i need to use 4 on a regular basis, which means no effort from you is required i struggle to get 15 miles out of it. On level 4 use you would be in single figures in a hilly area, but to be honest if you need level 4 you should just get the bus its cheaper :)

Ohh and my commute is about 40 miles (20 miles each way)

Last edited:

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
A question for the experts.

Would it not be possible to ask Ping to make a battery?

Perhaps the new set up would lack the same communication between controller and battery, but it would still power the bike and might be half the price?

D

Deleted member 4366

My system is the 40.7V system so they are no good, but you would be mad to pay uk prices. A quick google around and i can get the 37V 10A/Hr RR battery for 650 euros so just over 540 pound. The same battery here is over 1K so if it comes to it i will buy the battery. But i'm also getting bored of the Trek so might pull the kit off it and fit it onto something else.
For that price, you can get a BPM motor and a 20aH Ping battery, which will give you effortless pedalling up any hill and a range of about 40 miles, You could sell the Bionx motor to a mug and even recoup some of your money.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Many have tried, but it never turns out well as there are electronics in the battery. A few people have managed to re-cell them but results were not as good as the original. But like i say you can get a betery for just over £500 now, if you get 3-4 years out of it thats not bad going.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
For that price, you can get a BPM motor and a 20aH Ping battery, which will give you effortless pedalling up any hill and a range of about 40 miles, You could sell the Bionx motor to a mug and even recoup some of your money.
To be honest i tried a lot of systems including the alien aurora and it all came down to three things.
1) They were all noisy, you could no matter how quite they claimed to be you could hear them, whereas the bionx system is completely silent.

2) Battery position and shape on the bionx is almost invisible with panniers on 99% of people even standing 2 feet away cannot tell.

3) All the other systems i felt were just too agricultural compared to the bionx, the bionx system is silky smooth.

But on saying that i could be tempted to buy the alien aurora and tinker with it when my knee is completely knackered!